Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Denethorable

Game idea I can't get out of my head

This topic is 1861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

Although a decent prototype is a good thing to have. It is wise to create a GDD (Game Design Document) Also since you say you are a Graphics Designer, coming up with some concept art is always great to show off. Consider the help wanted section following the template. If you seem like you have it all together people will want to help. Also you mention kickstarter you might want to go the route of creating a simple website for this project something that shows you are serious and not some kid sitting in a basement dreaming of someone else making your game.

If you can build the right team even for free, you can get some good traction on the build because one thing here is people are passionate about programming games and if they have the time to contribute all the better.

Look into using a repository for the code base that way there is a simplified way of sharing and uploading new code to the project. You can also set up issues and assign them to people on the team. Great way to manage a team and a lot of them are free bitbucket is one of them. Well that is my two-cents I hope this helps you out.

Hey, just to add onto that, if you're looking for a good way to get your feet wet in addition to turning your idea into a playable game, might I suggest RPG Maker? It's about $70 for the full version, but you can run a trial version for 30 days or download the lite version for free.

It's very easy to learn, coding is optional (but sometimes necessary if you want a certain feature in your game), and you don't need a team of people. Downside is that it's not really the best for publishing games, you don't really learn as much, and it's sort of the easy way out, which would then turn you into the kid sitting in a basement claiming he makes professional RPGs (ah, those were the good old days).

I find it to be a great tool to map out my ideas, see how good they look in video game form, and make adjustments as I go along. I have a few finished games that I would one day like to rebuild in Unity3d (once I learn how to actually create game art... or program in C#). Hope it helps :)

When I first started with programming (I am still a newbie with not much experience) I found the best way was to choose a language (I chose VB6 as I was starting to use it a little at college at the time, (along with VBA)), and then set myself a project with no set goal, then just kept developping it, and learnt new skills as I progressed.

I learnt the coding as I approached a problem, rather than setting out with specific targets, it meant that although my solution may not always have been the most efficient way to program something, and my code may not always be the cleanest, I learnt it through dealing with real problems and issues rather than set lessons or a set agena, which I think worked much better for me.

The project I set myself was just to replicate a game that I used to play and found enjoyable (A trading simulation game) then I kept adapting it, adding new features and events, and learning skills along the way. It may not have been the best game, and came no where close to the original, and with the exception of about 10/20 people it was never played by many people. It was never officially released (just a single post on a small forum I used to hang out on)

But it helped me learn a lot more than I was learning in college at the time, and even though I'm yet to actually complete and release a game, I'd definately recommend just setting yourself a neverending project and just keep improving on it, add new and wacky features, and don't worry if you have no idea of how to implement them, thats the point, come up with the idea, then think about how it will work, and then get onto the internet, do the research and keep trying, making mistakes, learning until you get it to work.

In programming the only thing that limits you is your mind.

E.g. if want to make an invisible bridge that randomly lifts and lowers and has a chance of exploding throwing poisonous candy all over the place, where if any of the candy hits your player you lose 5hp, go ahead, dont know how you're going to do it at first, set out a plan.

Step 1: Create Invisible Bridge

Step 2: Make bridge raise/lower at set intervals.

Step 3: lets say a 1 in 1000 chance of bridge exploding.

Step 4: if bridge explodes make candy fly all over the place from bridge instance.

Step 5: if candy hits player then player loses 5hp.

Step 6: If HP reaches 0 then player dies.

after you've set out the steps then tackle them 1 at a time, researching online if you don't know how to program them, its much easier researching How to create an invisible object, than it is to research how to create a full game.

Once you've done the steps then think of a new addition and repeat the process.

"Troll appears after 5 minutes and growls at player, with a chance of attacking player."

-----

Its just my approach to things, I felt I learnt a lot more using this method, and doing things solo, than I ever learnt at college when we were using VB.

Obviously I wouldn't recommend VB as it's very old and limited compared to other languages such as java, C++ etc... Though I love it, but I only do 2d/text based stuff, not 3d.

And also remember, programming should be something you enjoy, and just because you start a project, it doesn't mean you have to finish a project (obviously if you're going the kickstarter route things will change in that regard.) I have plenty of projects which have a lot of work put into them, but are no where near complete, and I get sidetracked and start something new, I swear one of these days I will finish something though. I've just started a new project tday too, which is my most ambitious project yet, and the one I really want to complete.

My final tip, is just to go for it, you will make mistakes, wether you do things solo or in a team, it's all a learning experience and just enjoy yourself.

Edited by u1bd2005

Thanks for all the input guys, you've given me some things to think about there. I won't be going the kickstarter route right away until I improve my knowledge on a few things... I probably shouldn't ask people to join until I'm reasonably sure I know what I'm doing. A GDD sounds like a good idea, so I'll research some examples. And I'll check bitbucket as well.

In fact I'll be looking into every program mentioned here, as well as the crash course workflow suggested by u1bd2005.

Thanks again for taking the time to help guys. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again soon(ish) when I've made some progress in whichever sense :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!