Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Krylorz

Unity 2D

This topic is 1856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I just finished up a Game Jam out on Tokyo and my team made a 2D game. Unfortunately, due to schoolwork, I was unable to really get a chance to learn the Unity2D tools that Unity 4.3 now offers, and so learning them while trying to jam was a problem. Now that I've got some time I'm going to read up and learn what I can. Who else has learned how to use these tools and what tips/pieces of advice do you have?

Advertisement
This isn't a design topic but I'll answer you anyway.

From a programming perspective here is little difference. Calling functions is just as normal but with appending the function name with '2D'.

In editor you'll find a new GameObject called Sprite which has a SpriteRenderer, identical to an object with a MeshRenderer really.

My advice: just play around with it.

My advice: just play around with it.

That's how the majority of your learning in Unity is going to take place. Experimentation. I've been using it closer to a year now, and I've learned most of what I know about it, just from playing around with it.

Jesse Freeman has a nice introduction on using Unity's new 2D workflow and I suggest you read it:

http://jessefreeman.com/game-dev/introduction-unitys-new-2d-workflow/

Don't be afraid to ask questions on Unity Answers as well. They have a community filled with a lot of great Unity Game Developers:

http://answers.unity3d.com/index.html

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!