Subpixel precision and integer coordinates

Started by
5 comments, last by lipsryme 10 years, 4 months ago

When implementing subpixel precision in a software rasterizer I've found the following code:

It's just too bad the author doesn't explain anything to it. Can someone explain to me how shifting these integer variables gives us 4 bit subpixel precision a.k.a 16 more values of precision ? Not to mention this not working in my code :/

// 28.4 fixed-point coordinates
const int Y1 = iround(16.0f * v1.y);
const int Y2 = iround(16.0f * v2.y);
const int Y3 = iround(16.0f * v3.y);

const int X1 = iround(16.0f * v1.x);
const int X2 = iround(16.0f * v2.x);
const int X3 = iround(16.0f * v3.x);

// Fixed-point deltas
const int FDX12 = DX12 << 4;
const int FDX23 = DX23 << 4;
const int FDX31 = DX31 << 4;

const int FDY12 = DY12 << 4;
const int FDY23 = DY23 << 4;
const int FDY31 = DY31 << 4;

// Bounding rectangle
int minx = (min(X1, X2, X3) + 0xF) >> 4;
int maxx = (max(X1, X2, X3) + 0xF) >> 4;
int miny = (min(Y1, Y2, Y3) + 0xF) >> 4;
int maxy = (max(Y1, Y2, Y3) + 0xF) >> 4;

int CY1 = C1 + DX12 * (miny << 4) - DY12 * (minx << 4);
int CY2 = C2 + DX23 * (miny << 4) - DY23 * (minx << 4);
int CY3 = C3 + DX31 * (miny << 4) - DY31 * (minx << 4);

for(int y = miny; y < maxy; y++)
{
    int CX1 = CY1;
    int CX2 = CY2;
    int CX3 = CY3;

for(int x = minx; x < maxx; x++)
    {
        if(CX1 > 0 && CX2 > 0 && CX3 > 0)
        {
            colorBuffer[x] = 0x00FFFFFF;
        }

CX1 -= FDY12;
        CX2 -= FDY23;
        CX3 -= FDY31;
    }

CY1 += FDX12;
    CY2 += FDX23;
    CY3 += FDX31;

}
Advertisement

That code basically compacts to:

((x + 0xF) >> 4) << 4

...which is strange -- doing a shift down followed by a shift up immediately afterwards.

If I'm not mistaken, that's the same as:

((x + 0xF) & ~0xFU)

i.e. clear the lower 4 bits, while rounding upwards to the nearest multiple of 16.

Given this, and not much context, I would guess that the author is using a 28.4 fixed point format, and this is an implementation of the ceil function?

That code basically compacts to:

((x + 0xF) >> 4) << 4

...which is strange -- doing a shift down followed by a shift up immediately afterwards.

If I'm not mistaken, that's the same as:

((x + 0xF) & ~0xFU)

i.e. clear the lower 4 bits, while rounding upwards to the nearest multiple of 16.

Given this, and not much context, I would guess that the author is using a 28.4 fixed point format, and this is an implementation of the ceil function?

Shifts preserve the sign bit if I'm not mistaken

EDIT: hmm, on second though, I didn't read your code correctly, but then again, shifts would be "safe" standard wise, as opposed to the bit masking on an integer.

Sorry I've added some important bits after your post.

So I need to round upwards after multiplying by 16.0f ? Because I thought his iround would be the same as a cast to int.

update1: still using ceil does not help me on my results: http://d.pr/i/qZBx (screen). I basically copy+pasted his code with the same result.

update2: Let's see if I get this right...

Looking at the bitfield and consider as an example an 8bit (less zeros to write smile.png ) integer with the value 3

3 = 0000 0011

now we multiply this by 16

3 * 16 (48) = 0011 0000

and shift it 4 to the right ?

48 >> 4 = 0000 0000

and then we do some math/comparison with it ?

and after that we shift it back to get our original value

48 << 4 (3) = 0000 0011

Is that correct ?

I think the original author is Nick from devmaster.net, and here's the corresponding article: http://devmaster.net/posts/6145/advanced-rasterization

Maybe that helps in understanding it better!

Just a word of caution about shift operators and signed integers: The result of shifting negative values is either implementation defined or undefined, depending on the direction of the shift and the exact standard [of C or C++] being followed. The way this code is written is problematic.

If the code can be rewritten using only unsigned integer types, that would be a good thing to do. Otherwise it's probably better to express it using division and multiplication (which the compiler will often turn into shifts for you). I guess if everything else fails, it can be implemented in assembly language.

My problem is rather how does the above code (or similar) for getting subpixel precision work...?

Using the exact code from his topic for rasterization (the one above) results in artifacts like these: http://d.pr/i/TerH

Without the subpixel precision the result is flawless.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement