computer information systems in game programming?

Started by
4 comments, last by Hodgman 10 years, 4 months ago
I am currently enrolled in Computer information systems. I wanted to got for a B.S. In computer science but due to work and home life online classes are my method of going back to school. End result is I want to be a game programmer and wanted to see if a B.S. in CIS will get me there. Thank you.
Advertisement

Well if you don't have a CS degree you need to have had a job in programming for years or a project or a group of projects that show you know what you are doing. It absolutely does not matter what your degree is in, unless it is DIRECTLY transferable as far as skill developed in that degree that are needed, such as degrees in engineering or maths. You will have to take programming classes and/or work hard to learn the programing and make games while your earning that degree. It is not an easy venture by any means if you don't have that CS degree but if your passionate about it and are not afraid of hard work you can do it. Good luck and i hope you one day make and epic game smile.png

J-GREEN

Greenpanoply

Go into telecommunications if you like computers. I would leave the programming for a career for the crazy Ph.d.

I thank you for the advice green zone. I understand that this will not be easy butit will definitely be worth wild when all said and done. On top of the programming classes I have also downloaded a few programs such as Unity, Unreal DK, Maya and 3DS MAX. working on getting an all around base for game development. If you have any other suggestions please feel free to let me know. Thank you.

You don't really need a formal degree for game development; what you do need is experience.

Simply study by yourself and create small games. Create at least one finished and polished title, not necessarily published, just as a good showcase.

I thank you for the advice green zone. I understand that this will not be easy butit will definitely be worth wild when all said and done. On top of the programming classes I have also downloaded a few programs such as Unity, Unreal DK, Maya and 3DS MAX. working on getting an all around base for game development. If you have any other suggestions please feel free to let me know. Thank you.

Unity and UDK are for programming, while Maya and 3DS are focused on 3D art, modeling and animation. If you don't plan on doing both programming and 3D graphics, it would be wise to choose one path on the coming months, as you come to know them better. Of course, you can learn both, but for faster results you can focus one and try to make your life from there; postponing the other...

Also, there's no degree that will simply result in a job. Even if you were doing CompSci, I'd tell you to make games on the side and build up as much extra-curricula experience as possible during your studies!

But to answer the question, yep, I only did a bachelor or IT, and landed a game dev job before even graduating, due largely to my extra-curricula game projects ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement