• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

A diffrent type of rts.

This topic is 1478 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I don't see how this is any different than a normal RTS.

The way you build units is the same: out of a building. It is still a queue construction unit type mechanic. Homes? Call them barracks Attributes? Call it a personalizer random generator and bam, same thing. Food count? Supply count. Homes with more powerful breeders? Factories. Units getting more powerful? Promotion.

Nothing is unique about this concept except maybe your personalizer random generator.

Cheap units vs expensive units? Marines vs Tanks? This isn't any different than most RTS out there. All it is, is dressed up in different aesthetics.

What happens is this design will merely create a locked in system where people will crunch numbers and create the most efficient unit type and how to perfectly balance the economy with it. So in the end, your game mechanic idea is merely reduced to a science of numbers.

I'd be more concerning with making a fun RTS with good units, controls, and pace before I go that deep. RTS is hard enough following the proven formula.

Edited by canyouseeitnow

Advertisement

What happens is this design will merely create a locked in system where people will crunch numbers and create the most efficient unit type and how to perfectly balance the economy with it. So in the end, your game mechanic idea is merely reduced to a science of numbers.

This also goes for every RTS out there though.

But i agree with the rest of Canyouseeitnow's post, this is why i recommended removing the enemy from the map and focus on a (complicated) base,

making it a sort of Theme Hospital meets Age of Wonders.

enemies can still appear on the map and test the base's defenses/security, but have them appear in the form of thieves, infiltrators, bandits/pillagers,

maybe someone looking for revenge on a particular unit etc.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement