With GDD or without GDD?

Started by
10 comments, last by Stavros Dimou 10 years, 3 months ago

Hi there,

I am going to make a platformer game in c++ and it will be my first major project. My question is: "Does it worth making a game design document for a indie game as I am the programmer, the artist and musician all at once?

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul. Wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

Advertisement

If the project is so large you cannot easily have every bit of information in your head, I would definitely recommend writing it down. Also, consider that small games usually have short design documents, so it wouldn't take too long to write something.

How formal and detailed it ends up is basically up to you.

On larger projects, writing down your ideas and getting it all planned out before actual production starts (so-called pre-production) can save you a ton of time and problems down the road.

Additionally, you might also end up in a situation where you want to get input or feedback on something, or even have some help creating e.g. assets or levels.

If you have to communicate to someone about any part of the game, having a GDD means you might be able to just show them the relevant portion of the document, etc.

Hello to all my stalkers.

The simple answer is yes. The reason why yes is simple to keep the overview about your project and to have plan of what you actually want.
It makes it simpler to achieve what you want because while writing your document you have to question yourself of what you need and how you could achieve this.

The process of thinking and then writing it down, helps to know.

The simple answer is yes. The reason why yes is simple to keep the overview about your project and to have plan of what you actually want.
It makes it simpler to achieve what you want because while writing your document you have to question yourself of what you need and how you could achieve this.

The process of thinking and then writing it down, helps to know.

If the project is so large you cannot easily have every bit of information in your head, I would definitely recommend writing it down. Also, consider that small games usually have short design documents, so it wouldn't take too long to write something.

How formal and detailed it ends up is basically up to you.

On larger projects, writing down your ideas and getting it all planned out before actual production starts (so-called pre-production) can save you a ton of time and problems down the road.

Additionally, you might also end up in a situation where you want to get input or feedback on something, or even have some help creating e.g. assets or levels.

If you have to communicate to someone about any part of the game, having a GDD means you might be able to just show them the relevant portion of the document, etc.

Thank you guys :) So I will start writing it. I am so lazy........ph34r.png

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul. Wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

i think not writing that counts but thinking about your game design (can be very hard work) what you can sum up by writing the summary

It will also help you when you need to cut out any features or assets from your game; due to lack of time or maybe you just lost interest on the project but want to finish it anyway.

Personally a GDD should always be written so that you are in the practice of writing them so when you are doing a larger project you will have a good base and experience and then you should find writing the GDD for a larger project a bit easier.

I think it's always useful to have at least some short design document -- at least a brief statement of the general idea, perhaps with something like a mission statement you can check to make sure you're still on track -- but you might consider design logs as an alternative to or to supplement a lengthier design document. smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

Its not a huge game, just a small platformer :) The GDD its almost finished. Thank you guys.

I found this helpful

http://stonetronix.com/gdc-2010/OnePageDesigns.ppt

I tend to make a bunch of one page designs for various features of a project rather than one giant text-heavy GDD, and I make them as I develop, and not before.

That way I don't get bogged down into too much planning that's just going to end up changing anyway.

(Of course, I make a page or two for the overview at the start to keep me focused on a main theme)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement