DX11 - GPU Hangs getting ridiculous now...

Started by
8 comments, last by Migi0027 10 years, 3 months ago

Hi guys wink.png .

So, quite a while ago I posted shortly about how I've been experiencing GPU hangs (it seems like), and just now, I've had one, most likely the longest that I've had.

So, this didn't happen on its own, I most likely tortured my pc (laptop), so, I'm trying to voxelized my scene, great. But there's this weird thing about when the window being rendered to isn't the top window, and it's still rendering, my pc gets horribly slow, but I'm always able to shut it down and continue, but not this time. So, the scene was voxelized (I hope), but, then I literally couldn't do anything, and the window was not the top window. My mouse was movable, for some few seconds, then when I right clicked 2-4 times, even the mouse stopped moving and so did the sound ( Some music in the background ).

The Hdd led and power were still working fine, pc didn't stop working, no weird noises, no BSODs (Thanks god), just froze. I waited maybe 10-15 minutes, doing something else meanwhile, and it was still in this state, so, I turned it off and restarted. And, for now, it seems to work fine (I'm writing on it right now happy.png )

As the components still seemed to work, the hdd led blinking and stuff, I guess it's the GPU that hangs, as in the beginning the sound was still playing, but the screen frozen. This usually happens when I'm trying something new which turns out to be a terrible idea, like trying to render huge chunks of data.

I'm not sure what I'm really asking about, but, It's going out of hand now...

Does any of you have the same issues?

Any workarounds?

Is this a GPU hang (If you have enough information)?

Could this be a bad GPU?

What 'could' be causing this?

Thanks, as always! smile.png

-MIGI0027

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

Advertisement

I've had things like that happen, a while ago I had almost exactly the same symptoms as you, PC just hanged for 10 minutes until I reset it. Sometimes it comes back on its own after a minute, or the displaydriver crashes.

Usually happens if I accidentally render without ever calling Present, or the other way around and Present in a loop without rendering. Seems like the driver or OS doesn't handle it well when things happen too quickly, I've had it happen it in both D3D and OpenGL.

I've observed some instability myself recently while testing a bitcoin miner for a friend of mine (on a desktop!) so I don't think it's completely GPU, drivers have their share of fault IMHO. That said, run long workloads on laptops only when strictly necessary, I've seen them failing a bit too often recently.

Previously "Krohm"

My driver or the pc in itself seems to be very unstable with my voxelizer, I'm most likely doing something very stupid which somehow freezes my pc completely. So running the voxelizer will result in my pc freezing, no crash or anything, the sounds continue for 2-7 seconds, and then cut off, a restart is needed, forced.

Now finding that line...

EDIT: I'm somehow afraid or very feeling very insecure doing this, as, forcing to restart your pc multiple times may end up corrupting several files, and, one of them may be a windows related one, maybe even the boot sector (EDIT: Ok, maybe not that...). sad.png

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

What does the debug layer say?

What does the debug layer say?

Nothing biggrin.png

Have you tried using GPU-Z to check the temperature while duplicating the crash conditions? Overheating can cause serious hangs under certain conditions.

I somehow managed to fix the freeze, so it's going to get hard to reproduce it. But thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it in the near future when receiving a crash.

Any insights on why this may happen?

Some PC cases have a mesh filter over the main inlet fans to reduce dust from entering the system. If this clogs up it can choke the GPU (and CPU) of fresh air. My machine is highly susceptible to this - I clean the filter every few weeks.

Well, I can give you a bit of info here.

See the problem was that I wasn't sending my structured buffer (which was to be used), but when sending it, the pc remains fine. Though it's still weird why it should crash the whole pc, maybe unstable drivers.

Well, thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement