Sign in to follow this  
Endemoniada

Doom 3 Light Volumes ?

Endemoniada    430

Hi guys,

Here is a description of what I want to set up:

"Imagine a cardboard box with a point of light at it's centre, the (boundaries) sides of the box set the limiting distance and overall volume of space that particular light can influence; anything contained in that box will receive light from the entity at the centre, the closer the brighter."

It seems pretty easy but i can't figure out how to implement it (in a shader.)

Any help would be nice. Thanks.

Edited by Endemoniada

Krohm    5030

As a start, you must decide how to compute that distance. Of course at the end it will be a subtraction between two values: the light position and the position of the fragment being shaded.

For this operation to give meaningful results, those two values must be in the same coordinate space. There are a couple I want to mention:

• World-space is pretty easy to mangle as light entities are usually managed in world-coords. It requires some extra work in VS and PS. I have been told the value ranges might be a problem although I never observed this issue;
  • Eye-space is "native" in the processing and "denser" in terms of values produced. I think it's historically the most widely used coordinate space. Needs some mangling CPU-side but GPU has it easy;
  • Tangent-space (or "surface-local"): the light position is transformed so each fragment getting shaded gets a specific vector to the light WRT itself. Standard for initial DOT3-based bump-mapping implementations.

Are you familiar with those notions? Those are the hard part. Once you get the two points in the correct coordinate space, it will just be a matter of evaluating an attenuation function scaled by the inverse of distance (squared). 

I'm sure you'll be somewhat confused right now. Where do you want to start?

Endemoniada    430

Hi, I understand that stuff. What I'm not sure about is the attenuation, if I use a single value based on the distance from the light won't I just get a spherical light ? I'm trying to fill up a box with light.

Take a look at this top-dow view:

Should those two blue points receive the same intensity (since they are halfway to the edges) even though they are different distances from the light source ? That's what I don't understand.

ypub.jpg

If I want to fill up a long hallway with light I can't really do it with point lights, that's why I want to try this. Maybe there are better ways ?

Thanks.

cozzie    5029
Not sure if I understand, but if you want to light up a whole hallway you could use ambient or a directional light. I you want identifiable light sources within the hallway you could use multiple point lights (and split up the hallway mesh into some sort of tree/ multiple meshes).

If you want to go for "volumetric lighting" I'm afraid I can't help, no experience with that yet

DwarvesH    510

I'm afraid I don't know know anything more about the lights used in Doom 3 than a few phrases said by John Carmack in one of his presentations, but if you are looking for volumetric lights this might help: http://www.humus.name/index.php?page=3D&ID=36

I'd like to implement something like this one day for a few atmospheric lights, but my BRDF research will take up quite some time, so if you manage to learn something about that demo, please share :).