How to make this work?

Started by
2 comments, last by RichMelonMen 10 years, 4 months ago

Hi,

We are a learning group of developers who are interested in making a browser based game.

We want to create a game where the user can place a cube or object on a grid space, a little like Farmville. We want the user to have the ability to customize the object to a certain extent. The world will be user generated and every creation will be placed on the one world which every user can see. We want the users creations to update in real time or at least when the user refreshes the page for other people who are viewing the world. 3D is a large part of the game, and we wish to design the components in 3D space.

If you could point us in the direction of which coding language or program to use, we would be extremely grateful.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Hi,

Have you done any form of programming in the past? - I only ask because you seem to be trying to do a lot as a first project.

Anyway, for a browser based 3d game, you should probably start with learning HTML5/CSS JavaScript

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials and WebGL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebGL. If you wish to make a game for

something like facebook, you will want to look up their API and maybe something like python ? - Not sure what is actually used for it.

These are only some general pointers in directions to take. If you are total beginners - i think that HTML programming is a good place to start, just to grasp the basics - and maybe start off on a smaller project smile.png

Dont make a game to learn to program, learn to program to make a game ;)

Based on the complexity of your project I would use Unity3D engine and build a Web Player version.

The engine have both paid and free versions and suports C# and JavaScript.

As for the networking capabilities I'd go with Photon from ExitGames.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

Have you done any form of programming in the past? - I only ask because you seem to be trying to do a lot as a first project.

Anyway, for a browser based 3d game, you should probably start with learning HTML5/CSS JavaScript

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials and WebGL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebGL. If you wish to make a game for

something like facebook, you will want to look up their API and maybe something like python ? - Not sure what is actually used for it.

These are only some general pointers in directions to take. If you are total beginners - i think that HTML programming is a good place to start, just to grasp the basics - and maybe start off on a smaller project smile.png

Dont make a game to learn to program, learn to program to make a game ;)

Thanks for replying, we'll take this advice on board.

Based on the complexity of your project I would use Unity3D engine and build a Web Player version.

The engine have both paid and free versions and suports C# and JavaScript.

As for the networking capabilities I'd go with Photon from ExitGames.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for replying!

We have experience with Unity, and the Photon service looks rather useful. We'll look into both further and keeping you all updated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement