Sign in to follow this  
ericrrichards22

Maximum walkable slope?

ericrrichards22    2422

I've been doing some work on my pathfinding system, and trying to come up with a good estimation of the cost of moving between neighboring tiles in my map, based on the height variance between tile centers.  I've been using the slope between tiles as my measurement, but I've been having some difficulty determining the maximum walkable slope that should be allowed.

It's surprisingly hard to find good information on what the maximum walkable slope for a human is.  Based on some guides for building hiking trails, like this, and guides on roof pitches, I'm thinking somewhere between 20 and 30 degrees makes sense.  Does that seem reasonable?

mark ds    1786

I think that's far too shallow an angle.

If you put your hands forward, and onto the ground, 70 or so degrees is quite traversable. You just move slower.

Don't forget - Health and Safety have no jurisdiction in your game wink.png

Waterlimon    4398
It depends on the surface. If its ice then maybe 20 degrees, if its forest with roots everywhere you can probably have it be the ceiling and still handle it.

This is probably one of those areas in games were you don't want to be real-world accurate (which may not "feel" or "look" correct), and instead aim for what visually seems correct given the camera angles and distances of your game. Most games prefer to seem accurate rather than looking inaccurate but being technically correct.

Some real world things look too fake (some game developers call this the "Pisa Effect", off of the leaning tower of Pisa), and break immersion ("No way that that would stand upright!"), so you have to tone down the extremes, and some real world limitations look too limited, so you have to increase things to not frustrate or confuse players ("That's stupid, why aren't my units just walking up that hill?").

ericrrichards22    2422

Yeah, the results of trying to use somewhat physically realistic walking constraints looked a little odd.  I've ended up with about a 40 degree maximum slope, which seems to look better.

Eventually, I'm going to expand from single units to unit formations, so I'll have to see if this still looks right when trying to move formations of units that are supposed to be wearing/carrying 20-70 pounds of equipment...

Edited by ericrrichards22