[java] Resolution requirements

Started by
1 comment, last by StrategicAlliance 22 years, 5 months ago
Hey, I''m making a Java application using Swing. It has JInternalFrames all over the app. The app requires big windows with lots of data in it and I just can''t fit them in relatively small windows. Is it safe and user-friendly to assume 1024*768 screen resolution as a minimum to run the application without problems these days or should I resize the screens to fit on 800*600? I''d like your opinions or the resolution of your screen to see what seems to be the default. Thanks, ****************************** Stefan Baert On the day we create intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes God. On the day we create intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes obsolete... ******************************
******************************StrategicAllianceOn the day we create intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes God.On the day we create intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes obsolete...******************************
Advertisement
Sorry, I have no answer to your question but I do want to make a related addon to your question.

How can you get or set the resolution of the system or is that not possible?
StrategicAlliance: I always design for 600x800 or less not only because many users have low resolutions, but also because people may want to not have your app maximized all the time. Try allowing the user to do things like specify font size so they can fit more info in the screen. If you still think things are cumbersome, you might want to look at other options you have about reducing the amount of info on-screen at the same time.

zappsweden: Getting the screen size is easy. java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().getScreenSize()
For setting the screen size/resolution: this is what you want.

"So crucify the ego, before it's far too late. To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical, and you will come to find that we are all one mind. Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable."
- Tool

// EDIT: I cannot spell

Edited by - wayfarerx on October 29, 2001 4:17:43 PM
"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement