Popular Articulated Animation Format?

Started by
3 comments, last by uglybdavis 10 years, 3 months ago

This is more of a research question than anything else.

I'm trying to track down an animation format for articulated (not skinned) animations. Where whole meshes would be deformed by a bones transform. However, i'm unable to find any such format. The closest i cam was the ps1 TMD format but i couldn't find anything on how to parse it.

I'm looking for something that might have some documentation online, on how to parse it.

Advertisement

Looks like i was using some wrong terminology here. I'm actually looking for a "Hierarchical Object Animation" format.

Never Winter Nights 1 Fits this description.

I can't seem to find any info on parsing it's files tough, as all my searching for mdl files turns back half-life.

Anyone know any resources on loading nvn mdl files?

Hello. You may not know this but skinning can do what you want as well. I have skinned tanks and buildings that animate but don't deform.

Yeah, skinned animation will still work perfectly fine; after all, what is a rigid animation but a mesh skinned to only one bone with unit weight ;)

clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.

Ha ha, thanks guys.

I'm actually working on a research project about different animation techniques in games, so i'm looking for something very specific.

Anywhom, i seem to have found two viable formats: 3DS and ASE.

Thanks to all!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement