Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duble face problem

This topic is 5888 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m cheking powerrender for game development and things really look o.k. only one thing I found that this engine also suffers from duble facing where from a distance face of one object overlaps the other one infront. I had this problem with my last project were an object could''nt be viewed from a long distance, which is an exceptable. I looked at the demo of the simple land when I lift my self high the hole area looks bad, also the building on ground level has the same problem from 50 to 100 meters away. Is there a way to correct this iessue I hope you could do some thing to this becouse this engine has good tools and looks promising but this problem is a let down. Thanks for a replay in advance Tal

This is caused by zbuffer precision and will be present in ALL 3D engines since it is a hardware limitation.

You can improve this by doing two things:

1) Use 32 bit color mode and a 32 bit zbuffer if your card supports it. Older cards like Voodoo3 only support 16 bit zbuffering and will have limited precision.

2) Decrease the ratio between the near and far clipping planes.
Landscape Studio has an option for this and you can see the effect by dragging the sliders (especially on the water).

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)