Sign in to follow this  
Hawkblood

Help with HLSL normal mapping with multiple lights

I'm potentially opening up a can of worms with this topic-- mainly because I'm not sure what or how to ask.....

I've been using a normal mapping .fx from http://www.evolved-software.com/ (multipassLighting). It worked ok until I started running into trouble (my fault not the shader's). During my troubleshooting, I decided to have a look at some other multi-light normalmapping shaders. I noticed a very obvious difference: the newer ones all had loops in them for the number of lights. This is unlike the old one where it had a distinct pass for each light (looks messy). I thought "what the heck. Let's try it out."..... I can't get them to work! They show the geometry, but the lighting effect (using a single light for testing) doesn't show properly. There is another difference:

float4x4 worldMatrix;
float4x4 worldInverseTransposeMatrix;
float4x4 worldViewProjectionMatrix;

float3 cameraPos;
float4 globalAmbient;
int numLights;

PointLight lights[MAX_POINT_LIGHTS];

The "worldInverseTransposeMatrix" is new (to me). In the example code provided, they set this to identity. They also set the "worldMatrix" to identity. I think they can be set that way because the box you are in is centered around the origin (I think)....

Now, with all that said, the question is: What is the "worldInverseTransposeMatrix" and how do I use it? The others seem self-explanatory such as "worldMatrix" is the rendered object's position & rotation relative to the camera.

worldInverseTranspose is the transpose of the inverse of your world matrix.  Most of the time, you can use the upper-left 3x3 portion of your world matrix to transform your normals, but there are some cases where you have non-uniform scales or shears as part of the world matrix, in which case the transformed normal is not correct.  I don't have the explanation on hand, but transforming the normals by the inverse-transpose fixes this problem.

Some C#/SlimDX code to compute the inverse-transpose (Note that the translation portion of the matrix is zero'd out):

public static Matrix InverseTranspose(Matrix m) {

var a = m;
    a.M41 = a.M42 = a.M43 = 0;
    a.M44 = 1;

return Matrix.Transpose(Matrix.Invert(a));
}

I'm still doing something wrong. Here the section of code for rendering:

for (UINT i=0;i<Section[s].Objects.size();i++) {
		tmp=Section[s].Objects[i].matrix;
		tmp(3,0)+=v.x;
		tmp(3,1)+=v.y;
		tmp(3,2)+=v.z;

FXManager.Effect[NormalMappingFX].FX->SetMatrix("worldMatrix", &tmp);

D3DXMATRIX wit=tmp;
		wit(3,0)=0;
		wit(3,1)=0;
		wit(3,2)=0;
		wit(3,3)=1;;
		D3DXMatrixInverse(&wit,0,&wit);
		D3DXMatrixTranspose(&wit,&wit);
		FXManager.Effect[NormalMappingFX].FX->SetMatrix("worldInverseTransposeMatrix", &wit);

tmp*=VP;
		FXManager.Effect[NormalMappingFX].FX->SetMatrix("worldViewProjectionMatrix", &tmp);

if (SUCCEEDED(FXManager.Effect[NormalMappingFX].FX->Begin(&totalPasses, 0)))
		{
			for (UINT pass = 0; pass < totalPasses; ++pass)
			{
				if (SUCCEEDED(FXManager.Effect[NormalMappingFX].FX->BeginPass(pass)))
				{
					MeshObject[mesh].ppMesh->DrawSubset(Section[s].Objects[i].ObjIndex);
					FXManager.Effect[NormalMappingFX].FX->EndPass();
				}
			}

FXManager.Effect[NormalMappingFX].FX->End();
		}

}

Am I missing something?