Sign in to follow this  
Nathan2222_old

Have you made a game engine

Been searching google for things like "my 3d game engine project" to see already created engines and how long it took but no new results so i thought to ask here.
I just wanna know how long it took to get the 3d game engine to a usable state (years/months). How many/what libraries you use (ogre, fmod, directx, physx, havok, qt, cegui etc.) and if c++, which language

At work we have been making a C++ 3D engine which favours portability above all else. The technology used varies per platform (The only common part is OpenGL).

Some of the tech used for desktop platforms is Xlib/glx, libpng, openal, libogg/libvorbis.

The consumer platforms (Android / iOS) use the underlying platform's stuff but wrapped with C APIs similar to the desktop counterparts to minimize #ifdefs and other changes to the core games.

All the model loading, animation and physics is bespoke and written in C (with C++ wrappers) so is perfectly portable to everything.

To get it up to a usable state ready for games it took two of us a couple of months. It is unlikely to be as advanced as Hodgman's but as an "indie" studio, we currently need to battle with tablet / phone support and all the gimmicky short lived technology that it brings.

Edited by Karsten_

Depending on what resources you use, you could bust one out from the ground up in six to eight months, but if you really wanta great one, I'd say you have a good 2014 goal for the year :P

EDIT: if you're just building one for one game and not super rigorous, you could build one in a few months.

Great.
@aggie: It'll be for most of my games after i'm done.
@hodgman: Great to see you made a game engine using a bunch of what i want to use too (c++, lua, physx, directx, fmod) ... and in a year.

Ask me at the end of January about it (you can PM), if you are still interested. I am developing an open source game engine, and it is not very fancy, but it is 3D and a lot of parts are made from scratch. I might use RakNet, though, that is a possiblity. I haven't made any multiplayer features in it yet. Because it is open source (GPL, to be specific), no one will really use it, but you will be free to if you so choose. I am using OpenGL and SDL for pretty much everything else. It is being written in pure ANSI C, functional-style (not OOP-style). I said that to describe it to the reader. I want to start no debates, I beg of you. I might post pictures and such on a different thread, if I am not too embarassed.

@flyingsatin: The gpl license (...). If you are making everything from scratch, i'll like to know about it because i might make some things from scratch for the engine.
With the features (not the libraries) i plan on putting in the engine(s), it is unlikely the source code will be available or it'll be free but they'll be inexpensive (big dreams) and no royalties (don't like'em).

I read somewhere that couple of experienced programmers can create a 3d engine from scratch within two months. Hope that answeres your question. But the for starters it maky take longer. Basically if the objective of a 3d engine is to only create a 3d pong, then begineers can make it in 3-4 weeks.

@flyingsatin: The gpl license (...). If you are making everything from scratch, i'll like to know about it because i might make some things from scratch for the engine.
With the features (not the libraries) i plan on putting in the engine(s), it is unlikely the source code will be available or it'll be free but they'll be inexpensive (big dreams) and no royalties (don't like'em).

Just fyi, if any part of a codebase uses GPL, the entire codebase must be licensed under GPL or equivalent. This means, if you use GPL code in a library, game, or engine, you don't have a choice of whether it's opensource or not: It is legally required to be opensource by the license.

Also note: LGPL is different than GPL, and is more lax in some ways, permitting LGPL in closed-source software, as long as the LGPL code is dynamically linked instead of statically compiled in (though there is some discussion about permitting static compiling also). Basically, the idea with LGPL is that any changes to the LGPL part of the project needs to be re-shared with the world, but any code that uses the LGPL libraries don't have to be shared. :)

There's other nuances there, but I just wanted to make sure you understood that GPL doesn't give you the option of saying, "it is unlikely the source code will be available or free" if you decide to use GPL code in your project. :mellow:

That's why am not using any gpl stuff. Gonna pay for qt (lgpl)

I read somewhere that couple of experienced programmers can create a 3d engine from scratch within two months. Hope that answers your question. But the for starters it maky take longer. Basically if the objective of a 3d engine is to only create a 3d pong, then begineers can make it in 3-4 weeks.

Thanks for the info.
When testing the capabilities of the engine, i'll recreate most games but there's a game i want to make that's why i'm making the engine.

Just fyi, if any part of a codebase uses GPL, the entire codebase must be licensed under GPL or equivalent. This means, if you use GPL code in a library, game, or engine, you don't have a choice of whether it's opensource or not: It is legally required to be opensource by the license.

And that is why MIT license is the King of all licensees smile.png

The CC BY 3.0 is also very useful.

Edited by Dwarf King

That's why the blender game engine is having problems.

Sony likely decided to use FreeBSD as the basis of the internal OS on the PS4 purely due to the permissive BSD 2-Clause license rather than any technical superiority that the OS has over Linux.

I think any version of the GPL license makes game studios itchy ;)

Then again, talking about licenses at this stage of engine development is perhaps not very productive. Get the engine built first and you can always swap out the parts using unworkable licenses.

Edited by Karsten_

Sony likely decided to use FreeBSD as the basis of the internal OS on the PS4 purely due to the permissive BSD 2-Clause license rather than any technical superiority that the OS has over Linux.
I think any version of the GPL license makes game studios itchy ;)
Then again, talking about licenses at this stage of engine development is perhaps not very productive. Get the engine built first and you can always swap out the parts using unworkable licenses.

The gpl license is 'itchifying'. I've got 3+ pages worth of engine plans.

The Blender Game Engine isn't having problems in that regard. The issue is that most people are users and not developers, license notwithstanding

The Blender Game Engine isn't having problems in that regard. The issue is that most people are users and not developers, license notwithstanding

When i asked on their forum, they said the license and lack of features was the problem

[quote name="Angus Hollands" post="5119496" timestamp="1388158470"]

[quote name="Nathan2222" post="5119463" timestamp="1388146638"]

[quote name="Dwarf King" post="5119461" timestamp="1388142867"]
[quote name="Servant of the Lord" post="5119440" timestamp="1388133001"]
Just fyi, if any part of a codebase uses GPL, the entire codebase must be licensed under GPL or equivalent. This means, if you use GPL code in a library, game, or engine, you don't have a choice of whether it's opensource or not: It is legally required to be opensource by the license.[/quote]
[/quote]
The Blender Game Engine isn't having problems in that regard. The issue is that most people are users and not developers, license notwithstanding[/quote]
When i asked on their forum, they said the license and lack of features was the problem

Yes, we are finishing off our second title and we will be leaving our current engine and moving on to using our own.. Mainly general purpose, we have RPG and FPS prototypes working in it but a fair few kinks that need to be sorted out. We will be licensing it out after that:

Features that are in ShadowEngine V0.1, due for the Aug 2015 release:

64-Bit Editor

Nvidia Physx 3

Language support: C++ and C#

Direct X and open GL support

Custom shaders will be allowed

Data clustered streaming with compression algorithm

Track animation with cutscene system

Deferred lighting and HDR support

Post effects suite: DOF, BOKEH, Bloom, Motion Blur, Colour correction, DSSDO, SSAO, Edge detection, AA

Real time GI (Voxel based, spherical harmonic indirect lighting)

Internal runtime compiler

Terrain creation suite

Supported platforms, PC and Mac..

Edited by ShadowKGames

Yes, we are finishing off our second title and we will be leaving our current engine and moving on to using our own.. Mainly general purpose, we have RPG and FPS prototypes working in it but a fair few kinks that need to be sorted out. We will be licensing it out after that:

Features that are in ShadowEngine V0.1, due for the Aug 2015 release:

64-Bit Editor
Nvidia Physx 3
Language support: C++ and C#
Direct X and open GL support
Custom shaders will be allowed
Data clustered streaming with compression algorithm
Track animation with cutscene system
Deferred lighting and HDR support
Post effects suite: DOF, BOKEH, Bloom, Motion Blur, Colour correction, DSSDO, SSAO, Edge detection, AA
Real time GI (Voxel based, spherical harmonic indirect lighting)
Internal runtime compiler
Terrain creation suite

Supported platforms, PC and Mac..

When was the engine started.
*edit* Is it the engine on sourceforge that's gpl, open source and was started in 2010?

@ Nathan, this is a closed engine which was started in 2011.. Originally made for creating large open world RPG games, but I disbanded it for a small while to focus on actually making games. After our next title is out we will have time to finish it off, licensing has yet to be finalised.

@ Nathan, this is a closed engine which was started in 2011.. Originally made for creating large open world RPG games, but I disbanded it for a small while to focus on actually making games. After our next title is out we will have time to finish it off, licensing has yet to be finalised.

How many is 'our/we'

Reason I disbanded it honestly is because I got stuck and to this day a fair few years on, still don't know how to fix it

ShadowKGames, Out of interest, what did you get stuck on? I just find engine development to be time consuming rather than mentally tough.

Perhaps you were working on a particular feature that engines like Unreal do not provide (for similar reasons)?

Edited by Karsten_