Have you made a game engine

Started by
78 comments, last by Nathan2222_old 10 years, 3 months ago

I read somewhere that couple of experienced programmers can create a 3d engine from scratch within two months. Hope that answers your question. But the for starters it maky take longer. Basically if the objective of a 3d engine is to only create a 3d pong, then begineers can make it in 3-4 weeks.

Thanks for the info.
When testing the capabilities of the engine, i'll recreate most games but there's a game i want to make that's why i'm making the engine.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Advertisement

Just fyi, if any part of a codebase uses GPL, the entire codebase must be licensed under GPL or equivalent. This means, if you use GPL code in a library, game, or engine, you don't have a choice of whether it's opensource or not: It is legally required to be opensource by the license.

And that is why MIT license is the King of all licensees smile.png

The CC BY 3.0 is also very useful.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Just fyi, if any part of a codebase uses GPL, the entire codebase must be licensed under GPL or equivalent. This means, if you use GPL code in a library, game, or engine, you don't have a choice of whether it's opensource or not: It is legally required to be opensource by the license.

That's why the blender game engine is having problems.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Sony likely decided to use FreeBSD as the basis of the internal OS on the PS4 purely due to the permissive BSD 2-Clause license rather than any technical superiority that the OS has over Linux.

I think any version of the GPL license makes game studios itchy ;)

Then again, talking about licenses at this stage of engine development is perhaps not very productive. Get the engine built first and you can always swap out the parts using unworkable licenses.

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

Sony likely decided to use FreeBSD as the basis of the internal OS on the PS4 purely due to the permissive BSD 2-Clause license rather than any technical superiority that the OS has over Linux.
I think any version of the GPL license makes game studios itchy ;)
Then again, talking about licenses at this stage of engine development is perhaps not very productive. Get the engine built first and you can always swap out the parts using unworkable licenses.

The gpl license is 'itchifying'. I've got 3+ pages worth of engine plans.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

The Blender Game Engine isn't having problems in that regard. The issue is that most people are users and not developers, license notwithstanding

The Blender Game Engine isn't having problems in that regard. The issue is that most people are users and not developers, license notwithstanding

When i asked on their forum, they said the license and lack of features was the problem

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

[quote name="Nathan2222" post="5119463" timestamp="1388146638"]

[quote name="Dwarf King" post="5119461" timestamp="1388142867"]
[quote name="Servant of the Lord" post="5119440" timestamp="1388133001"]

[/quote]
The Blender Game Engine isn't having problems in that regard. The issue is that most people are users and not developers, license notwithstanding[/quote]
When i asked on their forum, they said the license and lack of features was the problem

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

Yes, we are finishing off our second title and we will be leaving our current engine and moving on to using our own.. Mainly general purpose, we have RPG and FPS prototypes working in it but a fair few kinks that need to be sorted out. We will be licensing it out after that:

Features that are in ShadowEngine V0.1, due for the Aug 2015 release:

64-Bit Editor

Nvidia Physx 3

Language support: C++ and C#

Direct X and open GL support

Custom shaders will be allowed

Data clustered streaming with compression algorithm

Track animation with cutscene system

Deferred lighting and HDR support

Post effects suite: DOF, BOKEH, Bloom, Motion Blur, Colour correction, DSSDO, SSAO, Edge detection, AA

Real time GI (Voxel based, spherical harmonic indirect lighting)

Internal runtime compiler

Terrain creation suite

Supported platforms, PC and Mac..

Yes, we are finishing off our second title and we will be leaving our current engine and moving on to using our own.. Mainly general purpose, we have RPG and FPS prototypes working in it but a fair few kinks that need to be sorted out. We will be licensing it out after that:

Features that are in ShadowEngine V0.1, due for the Aug 2015 release:

64-Bit Editor
Nvidia Physx 3
Language support: C++ and C#
Direct X and open GL support
Custom shaders will be allowed
Data clustered streaming with compression algorithm
Track animation with cutscene system
Deferred lighting and HDR support
Post effects suite: DOF, BOKEH, Bloom, Motion Blur, Colour correction, DSSDO, SSAO, Edge detection, AA
Real time GI (Voxel based, spherical harmonic indirect lighting)
Internal runtime compiler
Terrain creation suite

Supported platforms, PC and Mac..

When was the engine started.
*edit* Is it the engine on sourceforge that's gpl, open source and was started in 2010?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement