Sign in to follow this  
xoSauce

Is there any way to program features of a game without going through the whole process ?

Hello,

I love games and everything. I have been programming basic gaming stuff for quite a while. But I find the whole process of building the game loop/rendering strategy/resource management to be really bothersome. I really want to build or improve a game, not an engine. 

I know there are tons of engines there but is there one that will particularly allow me to write enough code as to develop my coding skills as well ? 

Also, is there any way in which I can grab an already made game (commercial or not)  and add features to it in order to make it better, without messing around with the low-level stuff ?

Thank you very much for your time.

Note that modding AAA games is normally just as hard and tedious as what you are talking about. Those games are massive and there are often a lot of moving parts that you have to know about. You could spend months learning how a particular AAA game works behind the scenes. Sure you can change a variable value here or there, but if you want to get into any serious modding it can take a long time and be really confusing to understand a AAA project. Especially if you aren't used to reading someone else's code.

Edited by rpiller

Modding to me is a good place to look at a game and see what others have done. You do learn something from it. I wouldn't waste massive amounts of time on it unless you want to work on building levels or content for others.

If you want to build a game yourself and eventually sell it Modding should be something you take a brief look at. As pointed out above learning another person's game takes time you can get a good ways into learning no only how to program but how game engines are built along with graphics engines and more.

If you do go the modding route, pick an engine that has a vibrant modding community, helpful forums, and good documentation.

The typical game suggested for modding is Halflife 2. The engine (The 'Source Engine') is flexible, has a huge community, decent documentation, and is constantly updated by Valve because Valve continues to use the Source Engine for each additional game they make (Portal 2, HL2:Episode 2, CounterStrike:GO, etc...).