Hello, using Unity & Oculus

Started by
8 comments, last by swiftcoder 10 years, 2 months ago

Hey everyone. I'm currently doing an MSc in Computer Science in Montreal, I've built a java based risk video game already as a side project a year ago, other than that I am currently putting in all my free time and programming knowledge into game development using Unity and the Oculus dev kit. Other than my feeble attempt at introducing myself, was wondering if anyone here is into Unity&&Oculus.

Advertisement

Considering OR is $1500 for the dev kit you probably won't get much assistance here. You might be better off trying the Oculus Rift dev forums, at least there you have like minded developers who are probably already developing with it.

Link to Unity Integration

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=37

I could be wrong and maybe there is someone here who has puchased it and have help for you using Unity. Either way I hope you find what you are looking for.

Considering OR is $1500 for the dev kit you probably won't get much assistance here. You might be better off trying the Oculus Rift dev forums, at least there you have like minded developers who are probably already developing with it.

I could be wrong and maybe there is someone here who has puchased it and have help for you using Unity. Either way I hope you find what you are looking for.

I wasn't aware that the OCR was 1500$, I must have gotten a lucky discount.

Well it is listed on the website for $300 so I am not sure where the $1500 came from

https://www.oculusvr.com/order/

I'm so tempted to get one. Must be awesome how easy it's supposed to be getting stuff going in unity then instantly have it work with the rift. I think I'll wait at least until the high res devkit comes out, which is supposed to be soon.

I'm using the oculus, but with my own C++ engine instead of Unity. It's pretty easy to use as a developer -- you just need different projection/view matrices and a special post-processing effect to compensate for the lens distortion and chromatic aberration (they give you code to do all that stuff).

And yep, they've always been $300, not $1500. I know about half a dozen devs IRL who also have one wink.png

I'm using the oculus, but with my own C++ engine instead of Unity. It's pretty easy to use as a developer -- you just need different projection/view matrices and a special post-processing effect to compensate for the lens distortion and chromatic aberration (they give you code to do all that stuff).

And yep, they've always been $300, not $1500. I know about half a dozen devs IRL who also have one wink.png

Why'd you roll your own?

Why'd you roll your own?

It's off-topic for this thread, so very quickly: The existing ones that we evaluated weren't the best fit for the specific game we're making (i.e. they would've required extensive modification anyway -- we're using quite specific vehicle/aerodeynamic simulation, networking, replay and anti-cheat techniques) and/or they were quite expensive, but most importantly we actually had the capability to build our own (I've spent years working professionally on other people's proprietary game and graphics engines, and for this current game we don't have a strict deadline yet, and had very low operating costs during the pre-production phase that allowed for this kind of extensive R&D work).

It also makes adding new features quite simple for us, like adding basic Oculus support in a day wink.png

I wasn't aware that the OCR was 1500$, I must have gotten a lucky discount.

I bought my kit for $300 USD tongue.png

"The code you write when you learn a new language is shit.
You either already know that and you are wise, or you don’t realize it for many years and you are an idiot. Either way, your learning code is objectively shit." - L. Spiro

"This is called programming. The art of typing shit into an editor/IDE is not programming, it's basically data entry. The part that makes a programmer a programmer is their problem solving skills." - Serapth

"The 'friend' relationship in c++ is the tightest coupling you can give two objects. Friends can reach out and touch your privates." - frob

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement