Game Engine - Requirements

Started by
5 comments, last by Nathan2222_old 10 years, 3 months ago

Looking or suggestions for a Game Engines i can use to create a game

2D Top down view

Helpful communitty (Unity is not accepted due to this reason)

Can use your own sprites & sounds

Free

Can have as many maps & images as you want (Game Maker is not accepted due to this reason)

Items can have tags (for programming purposes)*

Programming Language (If engine uses programming languages) C# or VB

*If items are pre-built into the engine, can they accept tags of the users choice for programming, e.g what time of weapon it is? (spear) what material is it made from? (bronze/oak) etc

Advertisement

I'm not sure that I understand. Are you asking for someone to make this for you? Are you asking for suggestions on an engine to use?

What exactly do you mean by "Items can have tags" and what kind of programming do you want to do with them?

Inspiration from my tea:

"Never wish life were easier. Wish that you were better" -Jim Rohn

soundcloud.com/herwrathmustbedragons

2D Top down view
Free
Can have as many maps & images as you want (Game Maker is not accepted due to this reason)
Items can have tags (for programming purposes)

Gamezdude,
You have not asked a question. And you posted in the wrong forum (this is not a Game Design question). I'm moving it to For Beginners, but you still need to explain what it is you're trying to accomplish with this post.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Gamezdude,
You have not asked a question. And you posted in the wrong forum (this is not a Game Design question). I'm moving it to For Beginners, but you still need to explain what it is you're trying to accomplish with this post.

Apollogies Tom & NoAdmiral, the post has been rewriten

So, I'm not sure what you've already tried, but I would recommend looking at RPGMaker: it's easy to use and the newer iterations can be expanded quite a bit with a relatively simple scripting language. I think someone's even working on a multi-player version.

You could also look into using something like Construct 2, but I've never used that so I'm not sure how easy it is to use or how flexible it can be.

What you're looking for is going to be relatively hard to find in a free engine. I also think that you're looking for something that is much more of a game-making-utility than an actual game engine (which is a term that is thrown around to mean a lot of different things).

If the community is all that is preventing you from using Unity, maybe you should give it some time, work with the tool, and ask when you need help. People tend to be much more accommodating of more exact questions than the vague alternatives. I also know that there are a ton of guides and tutorials for Unity, so you don't have to interact with the community too much.

Inspiration from my tea:

"Never wish life were easier. Wish that you were better" -Jim Rohn

soundcloud.com/herwrathmustbedragons

2D Top down view

Have you tried to look at Torque 2D?

Now that is subjective but perhaps you were just unlucky? Most community are actually helpful if one ask the right questions.

Hmmmm... here I would suggest that you look at this Torque 2D as it looks like you want lots of flexibility with the engine.

Free

Once again look at Torque 2D

Actually the whole Torque 2D engine is under MIT and might be worth a look for you. Also I am not a super user of Torque 2D but I know from experience that the community is friendly. The engine is free and you can convert it if needed(you get all the source code also for free).

At least I gave you another option if needed and all for free :)

Oh and welcome to gamedev! :)

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

2D Top down view

Have you tried to look at Torque 2D?

Now that is subjective but perhaps you were just unlucky? Most community are actually helpful if one ask the right questions.

Hmmmm... here I would suggest that you look at this Torque 2D as it looks like you want lots of flexibility with the engine.

Free

Once again look at Torque 2D

Actually the whole Torque 2D engine is under MIT and might be worth a look for you. Also I am not a super user of Torque 2D but I know from experience that the community is friendly. The engine is free and you can convert it if needed(you get all the source code also for free).

At least I gave you another option if needed and all for free :)

Oh and welcome to gamedev! :)

You should checkout torque 2d. The community is helpful, i'm a member.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement