Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirectX <- Just Wondering!

This topic is 5888 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think (so don''t quote me on this) that probably at least 50% of games (mind you that includes simple games, not just the latest greatest 3d shooters) use DirectX.

Directx is what''s popular right now.
Some big name examples:

Unreal Tournement
Black and White
Hitman Codename 47
Max Payne (I think)
Command and Conquer series

UT does use (or can use DirectX) for rendering and input. UT supports OpenGL, DirectX, Glide (which is the fastest supported) and software.

quote:
Original post by Moe
I think (so don''t quote me on this) that probably at least 50% of games (mind you that includes simple games, not just the latest greatest 3d shooters) use DirectX.

More like 99%. Of the games in the shops. I haven''t bought a game that doesn''t use at least a part of it since 1996.

Yeah, most games on the PC use DX. A few support multiple drivers (OGL/Glide).

Very very very few are written in VB though. VB lacks the performance to really get down and push pixels. It''s still pretty fast though. You could write a Quake1 type of engine in VB and it''d run reasonably fast on most machines. Try and do anything more complex and you''re looking at single-digit frame rates.

I reckon that if you''re planning on writing a professional game that you intend to get published by a publisher you''re going to have to use C++. If you want to release to multiple platforms then go for OGL. If you''re just going to potter-about and maybe make some fine quality shareware then by all means go with VB and DX.

''Doing the impossible is kind of fun'' - Walt Disney

quote:
Original post by NotTaxes
A few support multiple drivers (OGL/Glide).

But all of these seem to use DirectX for sound, input etc. If you count that then the quake series use DirectX. All the windows games I own use directX for at least something.

quote:

More like 99%. Of the games in the shops. I haven't bought a game that doesn't use at least a part of it since 1996.

I just wanted to play my numbers on the safe side to avoid some hardcore OpenGL flames.

Edited by - Moe on October 30, 2001 8:00:48 PM

Hello [:0)>< (again)

Thank you for posting feedback to this post.

It seems like that Direct X is a popular choice amongst game developers. Could someone please send me some code done in differant languages, so that I can see some example coding of Direct X.

I know this sounds like a strange request. But i''m picky about how I go about coding games, and again thanks

quote:
Original post by Jono
It seems like that Direct X is a popular choice amongst game developers. Could someone please send me some code done in differant languages, so that I can see some example coding of Direct X.

Um... do you mean "send some examples of coding with directX IN different languages?" Or "directX AND other languages"? For DirectX 8 C++ Try looking through the examples at drunken hyena-
http://www.drunkenhyena.com/docs/d3d_tutorial.phtml
I can''t think of any examples off the top of OpenGL or the others, though I''ve never really bothered to look since I''m using C++ DirectX too

-Tok

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
*Howdy Kids, Do /YOU/ know what time it is? It''s tangent time* -Baldor the Bold