DirectX <- Just Wondering!

Started by
10 comments, last by Jono 22 years, 5 months ago
Hello [:0)>< How many people that programme video games, use DirectX with C or Visual Basic. Would just like to know, thanks.
Advertisement
a lot.
me included.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
I think (so don''t quote me on this) that probably at least 50% of games (mind you that includes simple games, not just the latest greatest 3d shooters) use DirectX.
Directx is what''s popular right now.
Some big name examples:

Unreal Tournement
Black and White
Hitman Codename 47
Max Payne (I think)
Command and Conquer series
-RelisH!
Unreal Tournament uses OpenGL. Max Payne does since it''s on X-Box (isn''t it on X-Box?)
UT does use (or can use DirectX) for rendering and input. UT supports OpenGL, DirectX, Glide (which is the fastest supported) and software.
quote:Original post by Moe
I think (so don''t quote me on this) that probably at least 50% of games (mind you that includes simple games, not just the latest greatest 3d shooters) use DirectX.

More like 99%. Of the games in the shops. I haven''t bought a game that doesn''t use at least a part of it since 1996.
Yeah, most games on the PC use DX. A few support multiple drivers (OGL/Glide).

Very very very few are written in VB though. VB lacks the performance to really get down and push pixels. It''s still pretty fast though. You could write a Quake1 type of engine in VB and it''d run reasonably fast on most machines. Try and do anything more complex and you''re looking at single-digit frame rates.

I reckon that if you''re planning on writing a professional game that you intend to get published by a publisher you''re going to have to use C++. If you want to release to multiple platforms then go for OGL. If you''re just going to potter-about and maybe make some fine quality shareware then by all means go with VB and DX.

''Doing the impossible is kind of fun'' - Walt Disney
'Doing the impossible is kind of fun' - Walt Disney
quote:Original post by NotTaxes
A few support multiple drivers (OGL/Glide).

But all of these seem to use DirectX for sound, input etc. If you count that then the quake series use DirectX. All the windows games I own use directX for at least something.
quote:

More like 99%. Of the games in the shops. I haven't bought a game that doesn't use at least a part of it since 1996.

I just wanted to play my numbers on the safe side to avoid some hardcore OpenGL flames.

Edited by - Moe on October 30, 2001 8:00:48 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement