Sign in to follow this  
lucky6969b

DirectX 8 on Windows 7

lucky6969b    1330

By Default, Win7 has no DirectX 8 preinstalled.

I want to try to grab the runtime dlls of DirectX 8 and dump them

to a directory to see if that works.

I am using Visual Basic 6 and wonder which dlls

do I need? Want both Debug and Release builds

if that matters.

Thanks

Jack

Edited by lucky6969b

mhagain    13430

D3D8 (which is the only component of DX8 that's different from DX9) works perfectly fine on Windows 7, you don't need to grab any specific DLLs for it.

I don't have a vanilla Windows 7 machine to reference, but the most you should have to do is a standard upgrade of your DirectX runtimes from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35 - this can be safely done without affecting DX10 or 11 and is the recommended way.

Doing this is also highly recommended for DX9 anyway, as it will get you the updated D3DX libraries which many games will need.

What you definitely should never do is download individual DLLs from 3rd party sites and drop them into your system32/syswow64.  Use the proper installer instead and you know that you're getting the Real Thing.

lucky6969b    1330

Oh, thanks. I get your point.

The only thing is I can't compile the Visual Basic 6 program

I have used the web install file, and it says there is already a DirectX installation on the

hard drive. Sorry for being annoying

Edited by lucky6969b

mhagain    13430

You most likely need the old DirectX 8 SDK then.  Unfortunately Microsoft no longer have it available for download, but if you search around Google you're sure to find a copy.  I'm not certain if it's OK to post direct links here, so I'll refrain from doing so.