Writing a fake but very convincing article.

Started by
9 comments, last by JDX_John 10 years, 3 months ago
I was having a discussion on virtual money exchange with someone when I had an idea on writing a convincing article on the subject of virtual money based on mere assumptions, and without citing sources.

But the thing is, with the intention of writing a fake article, not many people would actually read it when they know about it in the first place. Perhaps, if we told them to read for fun, they might.

Any ways to set this in motion?
Advertisement

writing a fake article...
Any ways to set this in motion?

Yes. Don't do it. Or do research first, then write an article based on that actual research.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

There definitely is a market for fake articles, as The Onion and magazines such as Loaded have proved. However it must be done very well, or it's just not enjoyable.

Fake article based on assumptions? You should have a blog :D

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Fake article based on assumptions? You should have a blog biggrin.png

Yes, or that.

Is it okay if I write fake stuffs on my Gamedev Journal, and explictly telling others those are just assumptions, please take them with a grain of salt?

Is it okay if I write fake stuffs on my Gamedev Journal, and explictly telling others those are just assumptions, please take them with a grain of salt?

Don't write assumptions at all. Write fiction or humor or opinion or information based on research. There's no point in writing assumptions. No point whatsoever!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

My thoughts:

If by 'fake' you mean it's intentionally false misinformation, for the sake of humor, then please clearly label it as such at the bottom of your 'article'. If it's so over-the-top ridiculous and joking, it can be very enjoyable read. Then you'd post your fake, clearly marked as humour (but leave it for the end), 'article' on your blog or GameDev.net journal. We like humor.

If it's an accurate, detailed, and source-citing example of research or experience, then it should be an actual article.

If it's educated guesswork, and just "thinking allowed", post it on your journal and say that you're inexperienced. Don't write in an absolute this-is-fact tone (there is too much, spoken-as-fact 'articles' on the internet that have entirely false information because of inexperience), but if you write in a hobbyist I'm-not-sure-but-here-are-my-thoughts tone it's being honest with yourself and your readers and they know not to take it as the gospel. That's exactly the kind of stuff that goes on blogs and journals and can be very interesting.

Or, write it as a thread here on the forums, so everyone can discuss it and debate it, and everyone (yourself included) can learn and benefit from the complete discussion that emerges from it. Doing this automatically takes away your "ownership" and "control" over the "article", because then it's a real discussion amongst peers (blog/journal/article comments sections do not make good discussion areas. "Discuss below in the comments", actually is internet-speak for, "stroke my ego - actual dissenting opinions will be lambasted by I, The Author of The Article").

I see.

I have no say here from me, all my questions are now answered. biggrin.png

Thanks.

This seems appropriate: http://thatsmathematics.com/mathgen/

the onion does this pretty much.

here's a fake one making the rounds today: http://dailycurrant.com/2014/01/02/marijuana-overdoses-kill-37-in-colorado-on-first-day-of-legalization/
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement