81 comments, last by szecs 10 years, 3 months ago

Gratz! :)

How about your engine and your firm?

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Advertisement

1,058 successful applicants? Surely they could have culled another 34.

Um, sorry, um, I mean, congratulations! Why, I imagine a thread about the Martian dating scene will be following in due course.

Anyone else get nervous when the description page of something is written in really terrible english? Extra-nervous when that thing is also a space shuttle intent on taking human beings to another planet?

Extra-extra-nervous when that space shuttle is crowd funded?

Extra-extra-extra-nervous if that organization is willing fill that space shuttle with a "Medical Abomination" with no legs?

Fantastic. I'm jealous,

I find it amazing I could make it to round 2 of Mars One yet never been able to start a family. In many ways I am jealous the other way around, but either way is a rewarding adventure!

Gratz!

First off, congrats to you!

Congratulations!

Gratz!

I mean, congratulations!

Thank you.

Wow. Is this for real?

Yes. But no NASA rescue missions; we are already resigned to die on Mars.

How about your engine and your firm?

10 years of training while still on Earth gives me plenty of time to finish the engine before I go, but I will still have some programming project to do while on Mars. Probably related to hacking.
And I can forget about starting a company if I am going to Mars.

1,058 successful applicants? Surely they could have culled another 34.

At first I wondered from where that arbitrary number came as well, but it makes sense not to prioritize a simple number (which is arbitrary no matter how it is chosen) over “take as many as we need to reasonably guarantee there will be enough left after all the tests to actually have someone to send.”
And lots will be cut.

Why, I imagine a thread about the Martian dating scene will be following in due course.

“And then she e-mailed me to say, ‘Before we meet, I need to tell you, I have 3 arms.’”

Extra-extra-extra-nervous if that organization is willing fill that space shuttle with a "Medical Abomination" with no legs?

Did I not make it very clear in that topic that that was all for the filming of a TV show?
My legs are fine. I said clearly in that topic another chat room that I was just sitting on my feet (I thought I said I was sitting on my feet here, but looking back it seems everyone understood it was just staged for a TV show and I didn’t need to explain it here).
Come on kids.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Congratulations. So when will the final selection round happen? They're only planning on sending a handful of people there, aren't they. I imagine they are going to want to keep potential candidates around until the last few months in case anyone happens to want out or gets hit by a bus or whatever.

To be completely honest I am rather skeptical that this project will be actually carried out on schedule (or even remotely on schedule, if ever) but if it does, it'll be great achievement for mankind to set foot on another planet, and the first step towards taking control of our solar system before moving on to bigger and better things, like the conquest of our galaxy.. or something. In any case, good luck :)

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Yes. But no NASA rescue missions; we are already resigned to die on Mars.

I feel like that's easy to say this now, but it could be a different story if things go wrong and the sh!t hits the fan in some way. When people start dying because of Mars Disease or something :)

Congratulations. So when will the final selection round happen?

Thank you and not decided.
Phase 2 should end fairly quickly, as I think its only purpose is to immediately weed out anyone who can’t go due to diseases etc.
They seem to be mainly hung up on phase 3 where the remaining among us get to go to their training facility and get to work. They have to make a deal with TV sponsors for that phase so it seems to be taking some time, but it should be finalized this year.
I think they will have it down to a handful in 2015.

I feel like that's easy to say this now, but it could be a different story if things go wrong and the sh!t hits the fan in some way.

Everyone dies, not everyone lives.
Every time I move to a new country that recurring nightmare comes back where I awaken in America and have no job there so no way to get back to Japan/Thailand/France and it is such a terrible dream I awaken shortly after a few minutes of desperation at my situation.
Living a boring normal life is literally one of my worst primal fears.

With no guarantee of a premature death, the choice is obvious for me, but even if I was guaranteed to lose 10 years off my life I would do it. 6 months of such an adventure is worth more than 10 years in a cage.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I don't want to get too deep, but life is what you make of it. Perhaps you are running away from something? I just think it's a long shot that you'll find it on Mars. Reading that website has me convinced that you've all but signed up for a suicide mission (if it happens) in hopes that at least you'll get to see something cool before you die. However, being dead isn't living either.

If this is truly what you want to do then I wish you well, but given some of the things you've said/posted, it seems more like you are depressed and I just don't think it's because you live on earth. Just make sure you aren't doing this because you are trying to run away from something here on earth.

Again, I don't know you personally but from the little I've read there seems to be some red flags. I could be wrong, but that's just my observation.

6 months of such an adventure is worth more than 10 years in a cage.

Having lived in a cage just shy of 20 years I can reassure you of one thing, adventure in life is not absent unless you choose it to be so.

He has made up his mind pretty long ago, so I don't think a few Lounge posts will make him rethink his life, if he needs that at all.

And what's wrong with running away, if he's really doing that? Running away from a shit place to live seems pretty reasonable to me. I was running away from living with my parents and from my perspectives in my country, and it was a pretty cool and usable experience. Much better that trying to make something out of that shit.

Okay, Mars is a one way mission, but I can imagine dying for much lesser things than that.

My only fear would be about a mission like that is that it can be actually boring as shit, not something you dream about.

But one thing is sure, L.Spiro had thought things through.

EDIT: congratulations!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement