Sign in to follow this  
HyperX

Starting a game project

HyperX    121

I want to ask you guys what you think what is the best choice to start making a game like Hammerwatch? I am mostly deciding between SDL and Unity (in unity i probably should just use 3D scene as this hammewatch is some kind of a topdown ortho camera?)...What are your opinions what to use?

BHXSpecter    3119

Deciding that is the fun of being a game designer and coding it is the fun of being a game programmer. You get to decide whatever you like. I'm sure you will get some that will say SDL, others say Unity, others Torque3D, others SFML, still others Allegro, DirectX, OGL, etc. It mainly depends on what you want and what you are comfortable with using to make it.

3Ddreamer    3826

Hi,

Yes, I agree with Specter.  If you have plenty of experience in coding and it is only a hobby, then very heavy emphasis on personal preference.  SDL and Unity are good, so no issues with them in particular. For a person lacking solid coding skills, then I would lean a little bit toward Unity, in my opinion.  Read my signature below here for the basic areas.

Edited by 3Ddreamer

HyperX    121

Thanks, i rela yod like more "mature" coding like SDL but i believe thath i am not so much experienced to make a game like this in SDL even i thath i like SDL: So i will probably go with Unity, one more question there is some kind of a top down camera, so i need to go with 3D scene,i belive reaching thath is not possible with 2D(scene)?