Complete Beginner Programmer... where to start

Started by
22 comments, last by Relentless238 10 years, 3 months ago
Hey game dev community. My name is Connor(Relentless), and I recently got interested in the career of game development. I'm 16 years old right now and am thinking about my future career and this is what I chose. I am an avid gamer and creative person so I think I would enjoy this a lot.

I understand that game development is a long and tedious job but I want to do it. So I was wondering where do I need to start? I'm completely new to programming and haven't written a string of code in my life. I tried to look up what to do on google but there are so many options I thought id come here before I start anything. So where do I start, what langauge,etc?

Thanks - Relentless
Advertisement

Depends on what part of the industry you want. Programming? C, C++, C#, Java, Python, Lua, etc. Designing the game? GameMaker or Unity, among others. Game development is kind of a umbrella phrase as it generically covers design, programming, art, music, etc. What part of game development are you interested in?

Just as BHXSpecter stated, it depends on which area of the industry you are planning to join. And, although I am young like you(only 14), and very much still a novice, I have did my research.

If you plan to join the industry as a game programmer, you should learn C++. This is the language that a large majority of the AAA game development companies use. You can pick up a book about it from your local bookstore. Some good books, or at least from what I've heard, are C++ Primer, Beginning C++ Through Game Programming(the book I decided to get), C++ for Dummies, and Programming: Principles and Practice using C++(created by the maker of C++, Bjarne Stroustrup). Or, if for some reason you can't pick up a book from the store, you could go to websites such as cplusplus.com, cprogramming.com, or learncpp.com, which are all websites that I have found helpful. But wherever you get your information from, make sure that it is a reliable source. If you can't do this, then exchange it for quantity; if many sources are saying it is very likely to be true.

By talking about C++ so exclusively, I don't mean to put down other languages, but just to say that it is the most used in the game industry.

If Walt Disney can figure out how to make people pay to stand in line all day, I can surely master programming...

Depends on what part of the industry you want. Programming? C, C++, C#, Java, Python, Lua, etc. Designing the game? GameMaker or Unity, among others. Game development is kind of a umbrella phrase as it generically covers design, programming, art, music, etc. What part of game development are you interested in?

Yes I am interesed in programming. I'm just confused on where I start with it.

Just as BHXSpecter stated, it depends on which area of the industry you are planning to join. And, although I am young like you(only 14), and very much still a novice, I have did my research.

If you plan to join the industry as a game programmer, you should learn C++. This is the language that a large majority of the AAA game development companies use. You can pick up a book about it from your local bookstore. Some good books, or at least from what I've heard, are C++ Primer, Beginning C++ Through Game Programming(the book I decided to get), C++ for Dummies, and Programming: Principles and Practice using C++(created by the maker of C++, Bjarne Stroustrup). Or, if for some reason you can't pick up a book from the store, you could go to websites such as cplusplus.com, cprogramming.com, or learncpp.com, which are all websites that I have found helpful. But wherever you get your information from, make sure that it is a reliable source. If you can't do this, then exchange it for quantity; if many sources are saying it is very likely to be true.

By talking about C++ so exclusively, I don't mean to put down other languages, but just to say that it is the most used in the game industry.

So C++ would be a good place to start then?

Coding:

Math: https://www.khanacademy.org/

Essentials & Fundamentals (useful links are after, this section teaches you how to learn programming)

I'm a teenager, and I started making games by learning to program with Ruby. While Ruby isn't popular for games, it is a very simple language to learn and I made silly little text games where you would solve mysteries, kill cows using text (ohmy.png ), etc. I learned it with an insanely good book that pretty much teaches you everything about programming called Learn to Program by Chris Pine (you don't know how much I owe this guy for writing this).

After learning a simple language and making text games, little programs that ask for your name, etc, you should probably learn C. C is much harder to program in, but once you learn its basics you can learn C++. C++ is what you want for games. Once you learn some C++, you can get into making graphics, playing sound, all the stuff you need to write games.

Programming might seem a bit scary to begin with, but it is very easy once you understand the main concepts. You might think that game programming is scary because its all math too, but complex math isn't necessary for simple games.

Please note:

I would recommend making little 2D games before going into 3D games. 3D games are more complex and require more knowledge of programming and math to create. If you want to design 3D games, make sure you know your programming fairly well and some geometry.

Links (this is how you will learn programming)

CodeAcademy is really good for beginners!

Programming resources: Learn to Program, Learn C, Learn C++ an Hour Each Day

Math: http://khanacademy.org

Jumping straight into c++ can be a little scary. If you want a nice introduction to programming check out the JavaScript section of Codecademy.com

Jumping straight into c++ can be a little scary. If you want a nice introduction to programming check out the JavaScript section of Codecademy.com

Definitely, you want to start with a simple language before something like C or C++.

Actually, I started with C when I was 10. And it wasn't really hard to get started. Also, for c++ I recommend c++ primer, also, for programming, it's good to be good at maths, and for game programming, it's also good to be good at physics.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement