Implementing my own z-Buffer

Started by
5 comments, last by Paradigm Shifter 10 years, 3 months ago

Hi guys,

I have some problems understanding the z-Buffer and how to interpolate the values between vertices correctly in respect to perspective.

What I have done so far is take a vertex in World Space (x, y,z) and transform it using my ViewProjection Matrix to get coordinates in clip-space of the form (x, y, z, w). These coordinates still need to be divided by w.

What do I have to use here z or w? And how do I interpolate it?

What I would do is:

- normalize (x,y,z,w) => (x/w, y/w, z/w, 1)

- linearly interpolate z/w

Would that be correct?

Do I have to divide by 1/w at the end? IF no, why not?

Advertisement
Interpolating linearly won't do. It's very easy to find information about this on the web.

OpenGL is interpolating linearly aswell once you are in clip space and normalized your coordinates afaik. Your coordinates look like this:

(x,y,z,1) where x,y,z are in the range [-1, 1].

Any more opinions on this? My impresison is that I dont have to do perspective correct interpolation on the z here but a linear interpolation is correct since z is already divided by w.

Really, just do a web search for something like `software rasterizer z interpolation'. There is no point in repeating everything here.

Yep thanks, i am right. You were wrong.

After transforming to the NDC,

zNDC.png

So the depth value can be directly interpolated using z-NDC for depth test.

http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2012/04/29/software-rasterizer-part-2/

Conclusion
In this post, the steps to linear interpolate the vertex in screen space is described. And for rasterizing the depth buffer only (e.g. for occlusion), the depth value can be linearly interpolated directly with the z coordinate in NDC space which is even simpler.

However we cannot directly interpolate those attributes in screen space because projection transform after perspective division is not an affine transformation (i.e. after transformation, the mid-point of the line segment is no longer the mid-point), this will result in some distortion and this artifact is even more noticeable when the triangle is large[.]

But you seem to think you know what you are doing, so go ahead and do linear interpolation and hope something good will happen.

Alvaro is a bit grumpy recently it's like he wanted Optimus Prime for Christmas and got Soundwave ;)

Al knows his stuff though I'd listen to what he has to say.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement