I'm little confused about game programming..

Started by
5 comments, last by Kryzon 10 years, 3 months ago

Well, i'm very interested in game developing but i just don't know where to start, recently i've been programming in java but i don't feel like its the right language for what i want, i don't plan on programming 3D games, i want to create simple 2D sidescrolling games. So, which is the language i should use??

Advertisement

Why do you feel it is not the right language to create a 2D sidescroller? This has been completed many times in Java. If you are not sure where to start, a sidescroller is not the best idea.

Have you started learning one of many graphic libs for Java and created some simple programs moving shapes and loading sprites? So my answer to your question as to which language you should use is - Java.

EDITED: It is not the language that is limiting you here, its your ability and understanding of the topic. Either proceed down the route with Java or pick a similar approach using a game engine like GameMaker.

Have you started learning one of many graphic libs for Java...

If you haven't, take a look at Slick2D (You may have trouble finding documentation, as their website migrated hosts a few times last year.)

Or libGDX (better documentation and tons of you tube videos, but a little more complex for the beginner).

Just to get started, you may also want to take a look at Java's included graphics library.

It is fairly straightforward as far as graphics go, but it suffers some performance problems,

so try to learn one of the other libraries if you feel ready.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

I remember my first "game" was in Basic. It was a little hockey type game. It was so horrible and slow but it gave me the knowledge of game loops and other ideas involved in games. Don't worry about performance right now. Use Java's built-in gfx functionality first. I would say make pong first as it'll help you understand the basic functionality of some core game concepts.

I'm a big advocate of a mentorship. A good number of people will just say read all you can, which is always good, but there is something about finding a mentor that helps you learn some of the tricks quickly and efficiently. Something that might take you months to learn or come across (or fully understand) when you just read can take a lot less time if you have a mentor.

I don't know much about Java as I've just began working with it. A simpler language to understand would be JavaScript and you could write HTML5 games with it. A good library for JavaScript (with TypeScript support) would be Phaser (www.phaser.io). It has lots of examples and a very active and helpful community.

Another language you could use is ActionScript. Although Flash is not so used on the web anymore you could use the CitrusEngine to compile games for iOS, Android, BB (or desktop) using Adobe AIR technology. This has the advantage of writing the code only once and compiling to multiple platforms. The performance is not as good as native solutions but for most 2D games it is more than sufficient.

In my oppinion these are two alternatives to Java that require a not so steep learning curve.

As stated above the language doesn't really matter. More important are the concepts used in making games and planning. I think that using a less complex language gives you more time on learning actual game theory, but this is just my oppinion.
Another option for creating 2D games is using the Lua scripting language with the Löve framework:
https://love2d.org/

Their wiki has tutorials to get you started.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement