[SOLVED]Strange problem with HAL device

Started by
11 comments, last by BMW 10 years, 3 months ago

I am having issues with rendering correctly using the HAL device. Rendering works perfectly with a REF device.

The issue is that most of the geometry is clipped except the part near to the camera, but not too close.

Here are two screenshots illustrating the issue:

REF device (correct rendering):

54hh.png

HAL device (incorrect rendering):

t4wc.png

I suspect it is a driver issue, but other games run fine. Maybe I am trying to use an unsupported feature? What would cause such an issue as seen above?

EDIT: I have an Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset

Advertisement

Have you tried disabling your fog effect?

[edit]

can you show also your znear and zfar values?

Is your viewport set correctly?

Cheers!

I have tried disabling fog, the problem still existed.

zNear = 0.2f

zFar = 300.0f

Are you using shaders or fixed function pipeline?

Cheers!

Fixed function pipeline.

Thanks for replies.

Are the distant primitives clipped entirely or by some plane?

Cheers!

Try switching vertex processing to software (D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING in your CreateDevice call). Some Intel cards still require that.

Distant primitives are not rendered, only primitives as close as shown in the second screenshot are drawn.

I am using software vertex processing - CreateDevice() fails with D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING.

What??? Apparently my graphics card doesn't support drawing indexed primitives!??! I changed it so that it doesn't use an index buffer (DrawPrimitive rather than DrawIndexedPrimitive) and it fixed the problem.....

So, does my graphics card not support indexing, or am I doing something wrong?

What??? Apparently my graphics card doesn't support drawing indexed primitives!??! I changed it so that it doesn't use an index buffer (DrawPrimitive rather than DrawIndexedPrimitive) and it fixed the problem.....

So, does my graphics card not support indexing, or am I doing something wrong?

It's more likely you're using it in a way that's wrong or that your graphics card doesn't support. But we're all fresh out of crystal balls, so perhaps you would like to post how you are creating the index buffer, how you are binding it to the pipeline, and how you're issuing the draw call?

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement