• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Those guys Studio

SURVEY! what are the art services that you find your self needing the most?

This topic is 2106 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I own a small studio for Art production.  we specialize in video and animation.  we recently finished a job for an indie developer on the android platform.  What we did was create the concept art for the game and all the assets that were required for the game.  UI and and everything else.  I truly enjoyed the experience, and I am wanting to get my studio geared towards doing more of these projects.  I went looking into other bigger developers only to find that most of them keep a staff of artists on hand for when they are working on their products.  Then after words those artists may leave or get moved to another project.  But for Indie developers, you have the hard task of finding people to create everything you need.  Concept art, usable assets, whether they be 2d or 3d.  Not to mention music or sound production.  

What I am hoping to create is a one stop shop for Developers, where they can deal with one entity and have everything developed for their project.  I am testing the need for such a thing right now, so I created a survey that you can fill out and tell us what your biggest needs are.

This thread is entirely for feedback purposes.  I want to know what you think.  you can go to our site, www.thoseguys-studio.com, and check out some of our stuff.  If you have additional questions, you may most certainly ask us by contacting us through the site.  

Here is the survey.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pkVGHij0FmsS3xB86qdF5sCPnm6zgY1PdJNWWUzq9Xs/viewform?embedded=true

Again, this is strictly an inquiry.  I want to know if I will be filling a need by doing this.  I also want to know about all your needs when it comes to art production.  Thank you.

P.S 

I am having a hard time getting the survey to embed into forums.  if the survey does not appear above, then please fill out the survey on our site by clicking the link below.

http://www.thoseguys-studio.com/#!customer-surveys/c22h8

Advertisement

Submitted my response.

I'm more of a "basement" developer (indie just has too big a of a range now), and I know I generally can't commit to getting all my assets at once because of the cost. I generally need to space out getting and paying for assets over months (basically while I'm getting paid). I did this once already for a game and I enjoyed it as it gave me a lot of flexibility. I'm not sure how it was for the artist though. I'm sure it was difficult.

This leads me to my suggestion. I don't know if this can be setup this way or not or how we'd determine what we would get for it, but I wonder if this could be subscription based somehow. I know this isn't a straight forward way or common way for something like this but all I know is that as a consumer I prefer monthly subscription billing. 

It is a interesting idea.  The question is, how do you make it work for both parties.  the indie dev would need it to be cost effective, while I would need it to be enough to cover costs of doing business and bringing in additional talent when the time calls for it.  

Any suggestions?

I don't know how you worked with your artist last time, but I typically do payments in milestones.  so if they want me to do concept art, then modeling, then animation, each one would be paid for upon completion, but at the same time it gives a clear production pipeline and plan for the needs of the customer.  This has been a very good system so far.

None of the above. The only set of skills that I find difficult to obtain is that of a capable animator - there's usually a moderate abundance of other creative people, but animators are a rare breed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!