Need help in choosing game engine

Started by
8 comments, last by cube2222 10 years, 3 months ago
Hello game dev members I'm new here. I need some help on choosing the game engine. I'm planning to work on racing/simulation game. I have a little list that the game must have:
1. Open world - nice big and beautiful world with good looking landscapes.
2. Character Customisation - custom face, body and clothes
3. Realistic physics - realistic car physics.
4. Realistic graphics
- realistic models - high number of polygons
- materials - material on every road
- shaders
5. Night and day cycle - as it says. Night and day
6. Custom AI - on road ai cars and racing opponents
7. Steering Wheel compatible
8. Mainly for PC.

I worked a little in UDK and CryEngine. Since I would like to implement day and night cycle, baking lights in UDK would be painful. Of course other things are to program. I'm searching for an engine with easier implementation of things listed above. It could be any engine. Possibly free.
Advertisement

Need for Speed: Rivals

What you describe are features of a game, not an engine.

I did because this is a list of things I want to add into my game. It's obvious I will program it by myself and it doesn't matter which engine I use but I need to choose a good engine to support this features. I'm making a game.

You want to make a 3D game I suppose. Go with UNITY 3D.

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul. Wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

Hello game dev members I'm new here. I need some help on choosing the game engine. I'm planning to work on racing/simulation game. I have a little list that the game must have:
1. Open world - nice big and beautiful world with good looking landscapes.
2. Character Customisation - custom face, body and clothes
3. Realistic physics - realistic car physics.
4. Realistic graphics
- realistic models - high number of polygons
- materials - material on every road
- shaders
5. Night and day cycle - as it says. Night and day
6. Custom AI - on road ai cars and racing opponents
7. Steering Wheel compatible
8. Mainly for PC.
I worked a little in UDK and CryEngine. Since I would like to implement day and night cycle, baking lights in UDK would be painful. Of course other things are to program. I'm searching for an engine with easier implementation of things listed above. It could be any engine. Possibly free.

Sounds just like my requirements minus the racing part. I think cryengine will be worse than udk because it has problems with cars (rendering and use in cryengine). That's what their forum members told me. And except the game will be free.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

You want to make a 3D game I suppose. Go with UNITY 3D.

Can You explain me why should I go with Unity 3D? Because I never used it.

In my opinion you should try out both, UDK and Unity (I prefer UDK) and choose between them. Never really got into cryengine so I won't tell anything about it.

Ok I decided to go with UDK. Hoping to get the 4th version when I buy the license. Thread to close. Thanks for help and have a nice day :)

Just remember, you need the license only when you want to sell your game. It does only that. UE4 will propably become available as udk in the next year.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement