what genre or style are combination games

Started by
3 comments, last by rharper 10 years, 3 months ago
Im in the early stages of putting together idea's for a social media networking game that uses combination algorithms. I'd like to know if combination games fall under a specific game genre.

Ive searched (maybe not thorough enough) gor this subject but.with no success.

If my term combination confuses, think of games like alchemy or doodle god.

Any non trolling comments are appreciated.
Advertisement

I think the what you're describing could be described as "logic puzzle game" or "logic puzzler", maybe. Calling it simply a "puzzle game" is probably not enough to give people a good impression of what to expect from it.

I'd like to know if combination games fall under a specific game genre.

What genre a game belongs to is not hard-and-fast. You can call it whatever you want. Other people may categorize it differently, but so what? It only becomes an issue if everybody else's opinion differs wildly from yours (because then you start to look odd). I think what you're describing is a "social puzzle game," but that's just my uninformed opinion. It doesn't matter whether your categorization differs from mine.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Oh I like Doodle God ^_^ I consider it to be a "breed to complete the set" type of game; a turn-based equivalent of Plant Tycoon and that sort of thing.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Thanks everyone! I like the idea that having a loose based genre on the game and allowing other to decide how it "fits". Social puzzle would be the better description. Ty again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement