Variable consistently returns bad values [FIXED]

Started by
18 comments, last by Sova 10 years, 3 months ago

I have a sort of infrastructure thing going on for running my game, and everything works just about fine, except when I return a COORD type variable to a different object, it consistently returns -12851, regardless of the value of the actual COORD values. Here's the relevant code; the problem happens in the Collide function. The Player object is a derived class of the Entity virtual base class:

|

void SceneManager::Init(__int32 stateID, short info)
{
    // initialize the level

Entities.push_back(new Player(10, 10));
    Entities.push_back(new Block(25, 10));
    for (short i = 0; i < Entities.size(); i++)
        Entities[i]->Init();
}

void SceneManager::Tick()
{
    for (unsigned short i = 0; i < Entities.size(); i++)
    {
        Entities[i]->Act(hOut);
        Entities[i]->Draw(hOut);

for (unsigned short j = 0; j < Entities.size(); j++)
        {
            if (j == i)
                continue;
            else
                Entities[i]->Collide(Entities[j]);
        }
    }
}

Collision Player::Collide(Entity* other)
{
    Collision info;
    COORD pos = other->GetPos();

if (pos.X == Position.X && pos.Y == Position.Y)
        info.Contact = true;
    else
        info.Contact = false;

info.Intersection.X = 0;
    info.Intersection.Y = 0;
    info.Intersection.Z = 0;
    info.OtherID = other->ID;
    info.Velocity.X = 0;
    info.Velocity.Y = 0;
    info.Velocity.Z = 0;

if (other->ID == eIDBlock && info.Contact)
        Velocity.X *= -1;

return info;
}

class Entity
{
    static unsigned short Count;

public:
    Entity();
    virtual void Init()  = 0;
    virtual void Act (const HANDLE) = 0;
    virtual void Draw(const HANDLE) = 0;
    virtual Collision Collide(Entity*) = 0;
    virtual bool Alive() = 0;
    const COORD GetPos()  { return Position; };
    const bool  GetDraw() { return Redraw; };
    const __int32 ID;

protected:
    virtual void Move() = 0;
    virtual void Die()  = 0;

COORD* Beacon;
    COORD  Position;
    Vector Velocity;
    Vector Dimensions;
    bool   Redraw;
    char   Flags;
    char   Frames[4];
    short CurFrame, EndFrame;
    short FrameDelay, FrameTimer;
    unsigned short Timer;
};

|

Please let me know if you see anything else I did wrong, or if you need more code to work with. This is an ASCII game, so there aren't really any graphical considerations to take into account.

Advertisement

If this is C++, then `Entity` destructor must be declared virtual. Have you tried stepping through this with a debugger? Visual Studio has a great integrated debugger, or so I hear, and Nemiver is a good visual debugger on Linux.

Hello!

Well, i don't know the answer to your question, however i try to give you some tip:

- If you return a copy of a value, it shouldn't be const, in your getters you always return just a copy. Use the const keyword if you return for example a reference.

However the function itself is const, because you can call it in a const object.

- You shouldn't write "signed" before anything, if you write nothing it mean it's signed. It's not a big mistake, but pointless to write it and will be harder to read your code.

So, instead of:

const signed short GetX() { return Position.X; };

You should write

short GetX() const{ return Position.X;};

- At some place you use lowercap for variables, some place upper cap. You should choose what you like more, if you use one style at a place of code, you should do it everywhere, if you want to write a readable code.

Try to debug it. Unfortunately i don't see what's the problem, and i can't debug it without the whole code.

Good luck!

At some place you use lowercap for variables, some place upper cap. You should choose what you like more, if you use one style at a place of code, you should do it everywhere, if you want to write a readable code.

So agree with this!

Sane naming conventions are very important. Especially if others will have to read your code -- as is happening here! Good defaults are to reserve TitleCase for type names, camelCase for functions (member or otherwise) and variables, and prefix class data members with m_, e.g. m_position.

@Mnemotic Yeah, I've stepped through it. The X and Y values are just what I set them to be; X of 20, Y of 10, but when it's returned, it consistently gives me -12851 for both the X and Y variables.

@Melkon I was trying to test to see if it was some weird signed/unsigned mismatch, because my friend suggested it to me, as well as to see if returning individual values helped-- obviously it didn't. I don't normally write signed/unsigned in front of everything. I'll edit that part out. The const was to specify that the getter shouldn't change anything, and that it's just to return a value. Whether or not it's there doesn't change the result.

@both My convention is to have member variables capitalized, and things like local variables to have camelCase. I don't think I'm inconsistent in it...

Thank you for your replies. smile.png I really hope to find out what's going on in here soon.

Okay. Can we see the definition of COORD type? Have you turned up pedantry to 11 on your compiler? And what about the virtual destructor for `Entity`?

@both My convention is to have member variables capitalized, and things like local variables to have camelCase. I don't think I'm inconsistent in it...

Flame wars have been started over less... laugh.png

The COORD type is part of Windows.h. I'm using a lot of things from it, such as SetConsoleCursorPosition. This seems to be its defintion:

typedef struct _COORD {
    SHORT X;
    SHORT Y;
} COORD, *PCOORD;

I haven't written a virtual destructor for Entity. Is that essential? I don't create any new objects inside them, so I figured the default one would kick in, or am I forgetting something? If so, what should I put as a virtual destructor?

Also, what's the problem with my convention, from your point of view?

The const was to specify that the getter shouldn't change anything, and that it's just to return a value. Whether or not it's there doesn't change the result.

Well, in your example when someone take a look on your code, he will see that there is a getter, that return a const copy value, but it actually can modify the object. In my example you see in the interface that the getter is unable to modify the object (if you try it you get compile error), and the function return a copied value, just as yours. However a copied value shouldn't be const.

@Mnemotic Yeah, I've stepped through it. The X and Y values are just what I set them to be; X of 20, Y of 10, but when it's returned, it consistently gives me -12851 for both the X and Y variables.

Is it only when you use COORD? What happens if you make a GetX and GetY instead of using a GetPos?

Also, what's the value of the "other" pointer? What is the "Position" of the this object?

(short)-12851 is 0xCDCD. That is a well-known bit pattern that indicates heap memory that you have allocated but not initialized (i.e. uninitialized variable on the heap).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement