Programming practice

Started by
4 comments, last by h0wser 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm really not sure how to put into words what I'm looking for, but any suggestions would be wellcome.

Right now I'm at a mentally draining tech support job to pay the bills. When I get home I just don't have it in me to work on my personal projects. I wouldn't call them super difficult, but I think I need to do some coding that is a bit more bite sized until I can land a better job.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

You could try some of the problems from Project Euler. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Use an engine, which does a ton of mundane things for you, and just focus on game coding and game design instead. Makes stuff more exciting and less tedious.
You could start small and build upwards.
As in, first make a text based tic-tac-toe game. Then maybe upgrade it to Win32 to get the hang of basic graphics. Then maybe build snake/tetris/breakout, which are a bit more complex. Eventually you will feel comfortable enough to do most things.
what
I've found the book Beginning game programming, by Jonathan S. Harbor, easy to read and kept me going till the last chapter. It requires knowing c++ basics and pumps out an easy working game. From there ofcourse sky's the limit :)

Good luck.

Ps: also think on what aspect of game development you'd like to be part of and focus on that (don't try to be best at everything :)

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Bit late but here are my suggestions. If you want more "bite sized" things to work on, you could try to define specific chunks of your project into small pieces and work on them from day to day. So that you are basically creating sub projects within a larger one. This might be a way to get the ball rolling a bit.

“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” ? George Bernard Shaw

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement