• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RLS0812

Space Ship Building & Simulation Games - Wow !

36 posts in this topic

When I was much younger I use to play a lot of space games such as Wing Commander and wishing I could build and fly my very own space ships.

I noticed in the last couple years quite a few alpha stage games have popped up that let's you do just that, and it's amazing just what they are capable of.

Here is a list of the newer space ship "sandbox / building / simulation" games that I know of. If I missed one, let me know !

================================ Playable ================================

Blockade Runner

Space Engineers

Star Made

Scrumbleship

Kerbal Space Program

Starbound

Master Space

Starship Corporation

Xeno Galaxies

Avorion

Starwright

Build Your Spaceship and Explore the Universe

Corneroids

Shores of Hazeron

================================ Unplayable ================================

No Man's Sky

Boss Constructor

Kinetic Void

Universe Edge

InfiniExplorers

================================ Dead In The Water ================================

Galaxy55

Black Space

================================ Failed ================================

0x10c

Infinite Pixels

Edited by Shippou

Dude, seriously, you haven't heard of kerbals?!

By far one of the best space ship simulation games i've ever played. I've put in over 90+ hours into it, and i've just barely started attempting trips to other planets. I HIGHLY recommend this game if you enjoy building spaceships.

Yeah, Kerbal Space Program is also quite playable already with career mode/science. Also the physics are way more realistic than in Space Engineers. :)

I cannot wait for KSP to get a little more finished... It's a huge time-sink now, but if they get around to implementing something like a real campaign in career mode, maybe with actual costs factored in and objectives with rewards, I might not have time for anything else for a while...

In some ways, it reminds me of another of my old favorites that did the paid-alpha thing, before there was kickstarter to make it cool, Mount&Blade.  Not only was it fun as hell (riding on horses, chopping up guys!), but the anticipation and speculation as to what it might eventually become when it was "finished", and the rush when you saw that a new point release was available, kept me playing it steady for a long time.

KSP is a game that every geek and kid should play. Especially geeky kids. I have spent far more time puttering around with KSP and tinkering with rockets than a grown man should admit to in public.

Personally I've been looking for a space sim game that would include exploration and colony development. Something like FTL blended with an exploration game and less combat focused.

Star Made - Very diverse universe generation. Unfortunately it's core language is Java which cause lag on lower end computers.

Holy cow this one is great. Pirates are tough as fck tho.

They don't even need to add that much to it, populate the space with more factions/structures and it would be pretty complete already.

There's always the X Series.

(Full disclosure: I worked on a few titles in that series.)

I've bought a bunch of them, and always wanted to really get into them... But it never happened. I never had enough enjoyment in the first few hours of play to keep me wanting to load up the game later. Not really sure why. Still might buy the latest few and give them a shot. 

I've bought a bunch of them, and always wanted to really get into them... But it never happened. I never had enough enjoyment in the first few hours of play to keep me wanting to load up the game later. Not really sure why. Still might buy the latest few and give them a shot. 

Same. I really like what I see in the trailers and gameplay videos, but the start is so damn slow that several hours in I am still not enjoying myself.

I want to try X: Rebirth, because it looks like they have scoped the game down considerably. Though it appears they may have pissed off their entire existing fan-base in the process :)

I really should sit down and make a serious attempt at getting into one of them some weekend. The only real memories i have of any of the titles was fiddling around learning the controls and getting no where. 

There's always the X Series.

(Full disclosure: I worked on a few titles in that series.)

I played X3:TC for a few hours until I got fed up with the autopilot constantly crashing into shit while time acceleration is active (both my ship and my AI-controlled traders).

I was slightly tempted by X:Rebirth until I saw the metacritic score.

Maybe we should bug ApochPiQ to consider blending the X series with FTL style graphics and procedural generation.

+1. I'll help.

Wing Commander series was cool, but I had the most fun with the "Privateer" spin-off that had a space-trader economy. Not fully satisfied with the depth,  I recall awaiting with baited breath (for eons) BattleCruiser 3000AD.  Needless to say that experience soured my taste for space for at least a decade.

Kerbal Space Program is just a delightful little game. I enjoyed every bit of it, from when I was first struggling to build a rocket that would even reach the upper limits of the atmosphere, to first achieving orbit, travelling to the Mun, soft landing and returning the Kerbals safely.

Wing Commander series was cool, but I had the most fun with the "Privateer" spin-off that had a space-trader economy.

Privateer 1 was an excellent game ... Privateer 2 removed all the "good" stuff from the game unsure.png

Wait, why isn't discussion of Star Citizen getting tacked onto this thread? I wouldn't really expect people to have not heard of it yet, but on the off chance that someone hasn't...

One of, if not the largest, crowd funded games to date with some impressive names backing it. I backed it ages ago, and I'm looking forward to getting a larger apartment with room to set up my computer and a gaming chair with dedicated flight controls that lock in place so I can play the game more effectively. 

Now I'm starting to think that if Mojand had developed their 0x10c game more, they might had stumbled into a second (albeit smaller) Minecraft, given the kind of success that these space exploration games had this last year.

the kind of success that these space exploration games had this last year.

I hardly feel that is sustainable. The space sim genre has been underserved for the better part of a decade, but by this time next year the market is likely to be flooded with the last round of kickstarters...

Whether or not it stays strong will depend on the strength of the products released.

Sure, there will always be the flood of worthless clone games cashing in on the general idea, but as long as there is that core of solid games offering great game play, KSP, hopefully Star Citizen, and others, that are well made interesting games, then there will still be money spent in the genre.

If however there is a long series of highly hyped games that fall flat on their face, then we will see a lot more jaded customer base who is going to think twice before opening their wallet. Given the amount of money floating around Star Citizen's development I'm starting to feel that whether or not they produce a great game isn't going to be important to just them, but to this sector of the industry in general. After all if they flop then we can't trust the guys behind THAT title, so why should we trust some guy with a handful of tech demos under his belt and give him even a fraction of the money we gave RSI?

the kind of success that these space exploration games had this last year.

I hardly feel that is sustainable. The space sim genre has been underserved for the better part of a decade, but by this time next year the market is likely to be flooded with the last round of kickstarters...

Thats the point. Like you had Minecraft then a few years later, all the copycats and their kickstarters, in this case it would have been 0x10c the "pioneer" (yeah i know there were other games before it but no one remembers Infinimer neither 90s voxel titles so its irrelevant) then all these games coming afterward.

You're right in that the space sim has been kinda of a niche for a very long time, but the "ingame creativity" has really taken off since Minecraft, and I think these user creativty oriented space sims have a good chance to make it big.

You're right in that the space sim has been kinda of a niche for a very long time, but the "ingame creativity" has really taken off since Minecraft, and I think these user creativty oriented space sims have a good chance to make it big.

Yes, but they had a much better chance to make it big a year ago. Now the space-sim marketplace is rapidly becoming crowded with established and well-funded development studios (Star Citizen, Elite, etc.), and as for creativity-oriented, well, Starbound has a major head-start.

Speaking of which, Starbound should really be in the list.