Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
EddieV223

Unity What's the latest on XNA replacement?

This topic is 1834 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So the xbox one is out now, and with xna officially dead, and hints were being given by microsoft about replacement for xna, what is the latest news in this area? Is free unity licenses the answer, or is there a new indie library in the works much like xna was?

Advertisement

Unity will get an XBox One addon in 2014 that will be free, and will also get a XBox One-only Unity Pro license. You will probably have to go through the ID@XBox process (ID = Independent Developer) to develop for XBox One.

5) All signs point to yes.

What signs?

I've been an XNA.DirectX MVP for 6 years and I don't see any signs at all. If Microsoft is working on such an API they have either managed to keep it amazingly secret or they have not started work on it yet - in which case don't expect to see anything anytime soon.

I'd say 

5) No

If you want to release a game on Xbox One your choices right now are a) DirectX/C++ b) Unity (available at some unannounced time in 2014).

In addition you need to be accepted into the ID@xbox program and be chosen as one of the special few to get a dev kit, otherwise you have to wait till they enable retail boxes as dev kits - also an unannounced date. Meanwhile practise on windows 8 as the APIs are fairly similar.

And as above, there's currently no announcement for a Xbone version of IBLIG -- the zone for garage/hobbyist/XNA developers.

To make Xbone (or PS4, or PS3) games, you have to be a 'real' dev, with things like a business, compliance checks, dev kits, publishing contracts, license fees, etc...

But yes, if you're a licensed Xbone/PS4 dev, you'll most likely be given a free license for Unity (not that Unity actually supports Xbone/PS4 yet...)

Edited by Hodgman

Why not give MonoGame a shoot?

www.monogame.net

MonoGame is an Open Source implementation of the Microsoft XNA 4 Framework.

They are also adding features that was never implemented in XNA.

I use it myself and are pretty pleased with it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!