Game outsourcing questions - horror stories

Started by
3 comments, last by Greg Quinn 10 years, 2 months ago

Hi! I'm the gaming editor at BuzzFeed - I'm working on a story about game outsourcing and I'd really like to talk to someone who handles outsourcing management for a major developer or publisher. I'd also like to talk to anyone else who has experience with game outsourcing, particularly people who have horror stories or can shed further light on a side of the industry that is pretty much in the dark to the public.

Thanks very much.

Joe (Bernstein)

Gaming Editor
BuzzFeed
200 Fifth Avenue, 8th Floor
New York, NY 10010

(o): 646-599-8655
joe.bernstein@buzzfeed.com
Advertisement

PM EskimoeJoe on the Unity forums, he has done a lot of outsourcing and has lots of bad experiences.

Thanks Greg!

I'd also like to talk to anyone else who has experience with game outsourcing, particularly people who have horror stories or can shed further light on a side of the industry that is pretty much in the dark to the public.

Just like the squeaky wheel, the horror stories are the most noticed. They provide no end of entertaining stories. They are also relatively rare.

Much of the time hiring a game contractor is just like hiring an accounting firm, a marketing firm, a construction firm, or any other professional service. It is fairly standard to find a reputable company, describe what you need, negotiate an agreement, work on the product, and get the expected results. There is no drama.

That said, I don't have much to contribute that would make a good article, any more than talking to a home buyer could tell you the details of what construction sub-contractors do. There are some horror stories of home construction gone wrong, yet amazingly there are many million homes that managed to turn out just fine.

I do look forward to reading it when you put it out.

Well hopefully Joe's article will not only tell about the horror stories, but also get experience from those who have had problems understand what they did wrong and what they would do differently, to prevent the horror stories from happening again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement