Critique for first game

Started by
7 comments, last by Icebone1000 10 years, 3 months ago

Hello, all.

I'm hoping that this is an appropriate area for this post.

It is with some pride that I can say that I have completed my first game. In all honesty, it's a simple affair, however I tried my best to get it as polished as possible.

The game, ingeniously titled "Space Shooter", basically involves surviving the onslaught of enemy ships for as long as possible.

QVeOXUQ.jpg?1?2857

Installer

Solution

Exe

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the game. Also, if it would be great if you could have a look at the code and identify any bad practices that I should avoid for my next project.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisement

Congratulations on finishing your first game. Honestly, I have not tested your game nor looked at the source. I have no experience with XNA and I am running Linux but I would like to see a short video or additional screenshots of the gameplay.

Also you said your game was called "Space Shooter" yet your application says different "SpaceRPG". (You might want to change that)

All the best.

The "SpaceRPG" is a remnant of me having unrealistic goals at the start of the projectunsure.png.

I'll try and put together a demo video.

The links are down. Maybe it has to do with DropBox having trouble, but otherwise, if you could upload again? :)

www.xnafan.net - tutorials, tools and code samples for making games :)

Links seem to be working for me.

Yup - they are now :)

Nice game!

The gfx for the menu and introscreen is very nice.

I like the concept, but I don't get the feeling that what I do changes very much in the game.

If I move in a different direction all the small enemies quickly catch up to me, and the big enemy is very hard to outmaneuver.

I would like small explosions as well when I hit or when I am hit, so I get the reward (feedback) for aiming well.

A little sound for each shot being fired would be nice too.

Overall a very good first game! :)

Kind regards - Jakob

www.xnafan.net - tutorials, tools and code samples for making games :)

Thanks for the review biggrin.png

Particle effects are something I may add for impacts.

The enemies do move faster than the player, but I felt that without this games would last too long.

It's something that can easily be tweaked.

I considered add sounds for player fire, but I think the rate of fire would mean constant noise that I suspect would get annoying.

Thanks for you kind words!

Haven't had a chance to try it yet as I'm at work. Just thought I'd say those ships on the menu screen look suspiciously like Battlefleet Gothic ships ;-p Good choice!

I think its missing a pacing/rythm. starting with a few enemies and than getting harder instead of all those ships before you even get used with the controls

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement