Zynga Pulls Plug on YoVille - Million$ in YoCash evaporate!

Started by
165 comments, last by JTippetts 10 years, 1 month ago

We were told though by company representatives, that the game was staying intact. So my argument to this statement is that we were tricked into spending real money by false statements by the company.

Well, consider that Zynga is the company who abruptly laid off 20% of their workforce with no prior warning, I'd say that you should be aware that not everyone in the company actually knows what the business plans are. It's highly likely that the customer support staff first learned the game would be shut down at the same time you did.
Advertisement

Well, consider that Zynga is the company who abruptly laid off 20% of their workforce with no prior warning, I'd say that you should be aware that not everyone in the company actually knows what the business plans are. It's highly likely that the customer support staff first learned the game would be shut down at the same time you did.

I wondered about that as well. They seem rather sketchy in my opinion.

I wondered about that as well. They seem rather sketchy in my opinion.

Well, that wasn't really a sketchy move - it was more of a panic reaction. They went public just a couple quarters before the layoff, which forced them to take a closer look at their income and expenses (since all of that information was now public for the whole world to see). Then they started getting harried by Wall Street in the news to improve their profitability.

Pressure from Wall Street tends to have a way of corrupting a company such that it makes more profit-guided decisions rather than decisions that consider the wishes of employees or consumers. Pressure from the media sometimes makes a company make reactionary decisions which aren't well thought-out.

I believe that Zynga had no idea that the after-effects of going public could be detrimental like this, and they're still trying to get themselves straightened out.

I believe that Zynga had no idea that the after-effects of going public could be detrimental like this, and they're still trying to get themselves straightened out.

Maybe so...... right now I just have a hard time trusting them at all on any level. I feel totally duped.

Our hope is that Big Viking Games or some other company will buy it out, fix the glitches and let it roll. It's got such potential it seems a waste to see it falter.

On a positive note: CNN has been getting reports about this thanks to this site and others and they are investigating so maybe we'll get some press out of it. That's gotta help somebody wanna buy it I hope.

It was up for six years. SIX YEARS. It's not like they pulled the plug early. Besides, if it's such a success - why are they shutting it down? Why would anyone shut down something that generates income?

It was up for six years. SIX YEARS. It's not like they pulled the plug early. Besides, if it's such a success - why are they shutting it down? Why would anyone shut down something that generates income?

I've asked myself that question a million times. I don't know why they would shut it down. It's like they're investing so much into zynga.com that they are letting this slide, not fixing glitches, not addressing hacking issues, not doing anything to maintain the site, but all along asking for our patience and understanding as they fix it all....... taking our money on false promises that it would be fixed, and then slamming the door in our faces instead of fixing it. Unethical at best. We should have had accurate information to make our spending decisions with. I believe I'm speaking for the masses when I say we have all contributed financially in an effort to keep the game going, we've been more than patient, and the response we got was lies. I'll never spend a dime on another Zynga product in my life.

I simply cannot understand the concept of paying real money for non-utiltarian in-game purchases. I played WOW for a couple months, until I got bored of the grinding, and I've bought some level unlocks for Candy Crush and Bubble Witch, but the idea of spending money on something like hats in TF2 or anything with Zynga involved leaves me baffled. I can hit a Steam sale and find a game with a 90+ Metacritic score that I haven't played yet, that'll provide tens of hours of enjoyment, for less than some incidental piece of dlc.

To each his/her own, I guess...

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

I think you summed up your purchasing decisions in that first few lines. You play for "months".......... I've played this game for years as have most of the remaining yovillians. Buying this hat, or that window for this house or that tree......... it's part of the beauty of this game. It's not a competition (except the contests we have from time to time) but more of just a social outlet where we feel comfortable to invite friends over to our "newly decorated" homes and wear our chic new outfits, hair, hats, jewelry or whatever and visit, or talk or have a sale, or an auction, or group discussion, or meetings, or church, or whatever we want to do....... I can't stress enough that there is NO Other platform on the market like this. I've tried the others, and they are pale in comparison....... This truly is a community.

I simply cannot understand the concept of paying real money for non-utiltarian in-game purchases. I played WOW for a couple months, until I got bored of the grinding, and I've bought some level unlocks for Candy Crush and Bubble Witch, but the idea of spending money on something like hats in TF2 or anything with Zynga involved leaves me baffled. I can hit a Steam sale and find a game with a 90+ Metacritic score that I haven't played yet, that'll provide tens of hours of enjoyment, for less than some incidental piece of dlc.

To each his/her own, I guess...

why do people buy alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, jewelry, or any other item that provides zero practicality. I've never spent money on social games(the only mmo i've payed money for was The Old Republic, but that was to buy it at launch, and i got bored with it before i even had to start paying monthly subscriptions). There are people that can justify these purchases, as it provides entertainment/social value, not practical value.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Ailin Graef built a large virtual goods empire that started with selling virtual land in 2004 ...

LINK

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement