Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nyphoon Games

2D Concept Art - Feedback Needed

This topic is 1823 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The past few days, I have been working hard on some concept art for my upcoming 2D physics-based platform game. I want to get a grip on the art style before moving on to the generation and level-creation. These are the first couple of concept art pieces I've finished: 

54ZZWyY.png

88u90Fo.png

As you can see, I'm going for a minimalistic look, although the colours are subject to change, depending on the storyline I go for.

The mechanics of this physics platform game resolve around a snowball. Rolling around would make you bigger and can help you break down or move obstacles. Being small, on the other hand would permit you to jump longer distances and to squeeze through narrow gaps. The first piece of concept art I posted got generally very good feedback ... until I posted it on Reddit and Imgur.

On the latter social networks, I didn't get any constructive feedback, with mostly [supposedly] trolls commenting with garbage and down-voting it. This contrasted a lot with the feedback I received both on a number of Facebook groups (dedicated to game developers) and [especially] on Twitter, where many commended the style. And this is the reason why I'm here.

I admit it was a bit tough to fathom that after the good feedback I received by game developers, the concept art was being trashed by others. I'm not sure whether those who trashed it were actually trolls or not, which demotivated me a little, I have to admit. I would love some constructive feedback about this concept art. What do you think about the style?

Facebook | Twitter | Blog

Edited by Nyphoon Games

Advertisement

Well, I don't think the contrast is high enough for it to be functional in a game.  Specifically, you never want two white areas touching; instead you want either a bit of reflected sky color on the top of the snow, or you want a strong shadow on the bottom of the snowball.  And you definitely don't want a white area in the background touching the white ground.  I like the ground and the snow okay otherwise.  The sky in general could use more content: clouds, stars, birdies, or at least a strong color gradient.

The contrast should be more higher as it's very hard to lock onto objects and during gameplay it will be worse. Also anyone with impaired vision, will struggle to play in such environment.

Yes, as I replied higher above, I will be working on the contrast. Firstly, the background hills will have a dark hue, rather than a light one. This will make the snowball stand out against the background. What's more, I will be accentuating the shadow so that the snowball will also provide contrast with the snow. Think something like this:

mkcj2p.png

I'm also toying with two other options. The first is to provide the option to adjust the shadow depth to suit the user. The second is to use a thin, slightly dark border (I'm thinking 1-2 pixels wide) with the snowball so that the snowball will always be visible.

Edited by Nyphoon Games

Well, I was initially going to use a single pallet, in this case red, so introducing a new color isn't on my agenda right now. However, I will probably introduce an accent color with the same hue on the snow itself - I believe that would work very well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!