Good Direct3D 11 book for someone who already knows OpenGL

Started by
11 comments, last by Jason Z 10 years, 3 months ago

So I usually try to keep things cross platform by using OpenGL and other non-proprietary libraries, but my current job has me poking around in a lot of DirectX code.While there's quite a few similarities and I was able to be productive relatively quickly, I would like something that gives me an overview of how the API works.

So I am looking for a book that's good for someone who uses primarily UNIX and cross platform APIs and wants to start working with Win32/DirectX11.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

Advertisement

I suggest you to download the DXSDK June2010 and read the samples(or search them online), MSDN.

Frank Luna's DX 11 book is always good.

I've also found some material from this book to be useful. I don't own it, but some very useful information came up on the Google Books preview, so I am thinking about getting it.

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

I haven't read any of the Frank Luna books personally, but they're recommended quite frequently around here so I'd imagine that they're good. The book that I worked on with Jason Zink (Practical Computation and Rendering with Direct3D 11) dedicates a large portion of the text to giving a thorough overview of the D3D API and it's logical rendering pipeline, and is primarily aimed at people with programming and C++ experience that want to learn the API. So it may be suitable for your purposes.

I would vote for Frank luna's book because it is a very good book and I personally own it. I'd give it 5 stars.

Frank de Luna's books are great if you are new to graphics programming.

But Lazy Foo says that he got experience with OGL.

He will be bored reading again and again about what is vertex/index buffer and so on... It is a waste of money for something you've already known.

He will be bored reading again and again about what is vertex/index buffer and so on... It is a waste of money for something you've already known.

Taken from book:
INTENDED AUDIENCE
This book was designed with the following three audiences in mind:
1. Intermediate level C++ programmers who would like an introduction to 3D programming using the latest iteration of Direct3D.
2. 3D programmers experienced with an API other than DirectX (e.g., OpenGL) who would like an introduction to Direct3D 11.
3. Experienced Direct3D 9 and Direct3D 11 programmers wishing to learn the latest iteration of Direct3D.

Taken from book:
INTENDED AUDIENCE
This book was designed with the following three audiences in mind:
1. Intermediate level C++ programmers who would like an introduction to 3D programming using the latest iteration of Direct3D.
2. 3D programmers experienced with an API other than DirectX (e.g., OpenGL) who would like an introduction to Direct3D 11.
3. Experienced Direct3D 9 and Direct3D 11 programmers wishing to learn the latest iteration of Direct3D.

Im not gonna flame or something. This sentence is there for 'marketing' purposes. The publisher wants to sell as many books as possible.

I suggest you to download the DXSDK June2010 and read the samples(or search them online), MSDN.

I honestly wouldn't support this suggestion. The documentation in that SDK is incredibly poor, and you'll often need to refer back to the D3D10 versions of several API calls as the D3D11 stuff appears to have been written with the assumption that you already know 10. The help file index in incomplete, important structs or enums aren't indexed at all (or aren't linked from the help pages for API calls that use them) meaning that you end up using the search a lot. The samples themselves use DXUT which abstracts away of lot of the important things you need to know for your window management code.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Practical Computation and Rendering with Direct3D 11 is better than the sdk at explaining every stuff d3d have, at GREAT detail, I recommend using it as a manual. (it also explains advance techniques)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement