• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dworm

[design dilemma] projectiles and moving targets

This topic is 2103 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i have this doubt:

what to do when i have a slow projectile like an arrow or a bomb thrown with hands but with his hit effect decided not by a skill shot mechanism (ie not a fps and not a dota/lol system where if the target dodge the projectile after he start flying it can miss)

so basically i have to decide at launch the hit condition and so the trajectory in case of hit

but if the target moves or even worse if the target  moves in a hard to predict way what to do?

-make the projectile "follow" the target (like adjourning its route if target change path) would lead to sometimes wierd or just ugly projectile paths

-make a fixed path coudl lead to sometimes a plain graphic miss when the shot actually hit in game 

-dont use slow projectiles?

-dont use moving targets ? :D

also i must add sometimes even if target move in a straight line or something it may result in really weird scenarios if the prediction is too heavy

"oh ehy i threw this bomb in that corner 15 sec ago, and oh look that marine run for 10 step, jump that hole, crouch behind the stair, eat a doughnut and now he explode! yeah i hit him!"

i mean its too much sometimes to see even if it was predictable.

ideas?

Advertisement

Hitting moving targets with slow projectiles *is* a skill-based thing :P It's partly predicting the target's movement and partly being lucky because the target didn't move too much.

For mid-slow projectiles ( like arrows ) I just make them follow the target, because there is a minimal error margin and I can get away with it. It "bends" it's path only slightly, so it's not too noticeable.

For the hand-thrown grenade I'd propose area-of-effect damage. That gives you a much larger error margin in your prediction. If you do any, at all. Since you've got a much larger error margin, I wouldn't sweat too much over prediction algorithms, if they are not required.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!