Which engine to choose to make a MORPG?

Started by
16 comments, last by alikim 10 years, 3 months ago

Hi,

If I want to make a 3D MORPG which free or very low cost engine(s) is the best choice?

The main problem for me seems to be the implementation of the server part: the neccesity of installing/using extra middleman software, database management, how easy it is to make changes to the server code etc.

I know there are free versions of Unity, CryEngine, Unreal, are there any other engines worth considering?

Did anyone try to implenet the server part for a custom MORPG for the above three engines and could compare or give me some advice?

Thank you!

Advertisement

Hi,

If I want to make a 3D MORPG which free or very low cost engine(s) is the best choice?

The main problem for me seems to be the implementation of the server part: the neccesity of installing/using extra middleman software, database management, how easy it is to make changes to the server code etc.

I know there are free versions of Unity, CryEngine, Unreal, are there any other engines worth considering?

Did anyone try to implenet the server part for a custom MORPG for the above three engines and could compare or give me some advice?

Thank you!

Torque might also be an option (it is fairly popular), or JMonkeyEngine if you use Java, The server portion for a MORPG is usually implemented in pretty much the same way regardless of what engine you use for the client. (Allthough some engines do have built in networking support it tends to never be quite suitable for anything)

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

You have not provided much information to go on.

- What programming language are you familiar with, if any at all?

- What is your target platform?

What other features are you looking for or do you only care if the engine is cheap / free and you can make an MORPG? There is a engine that comes to mind, Realm Crafter, it is not free but fairly cheap.

I have no experience using this engine so I do not know what it is capable of and I believe it only runs on Windows.

Kirk

Torque might also be an option (it is fairly popular), or JMonkeyEngine if you use Java, The server portion for a MORPG is usually implemented in pretty much the same way regardless of what engine you use for the client. (Allthough some engines do have built in networking support it tends to never be quite suitable for anything)

Thank you, do you mean that at the end of the day I'll have to write my own server?

You have not provided much information to go on.

- What programming language are you familiar with, if any at all?

- What is your target platform?

What other features are you looking for or do you only care if the engine is cheap / free and you can make an MORPG? There is a engine that comes to mind, Realm Crafter, it is not free but fairly cheap.

I have no experience using this engine so I do not know what it is capable of and I believe it only runs on Windows.

Kirk

Any language will do (I know many), I'm looking for the best ready to use solution server-wise that comes with the engine or requires little extra work.

Features: the more the better, built in DB, built in support for as many aspects of multiplayer interaction as possible, at least movement and chat.

The price depends on how good the server part is and how much I'll have to do to make it work.

That's why I'm asking about Unity for example, what do you get buying a pro licence and how hard is it to actually make the server part work? Same for UE and CE or any other engine you actually made a multiplayer online game on.

Platforms: PC and Mac, standalone executables, anything extra is a bonus.

Perhaps the Hero Engine is worth a look.

I haven't used it, I don't know much about it other than what a friend of mine has mentioned (and what info is available on the site), but he seemed to like it.

Wait a second, let's conclude:

You want to make an mmorpg, which is actually the msot expensive type of game to make, but you're looking for a cheap engine... Do you realize how much all the assets will cost? If you do have to ask this question, about what engine to use, you shouldn't be even trying to do an mmo. Because this is way beyond you, if you don't have endless money. Try to do something smaller, I can reccomend unity and udk (prefer udk), and try to go into game development. Then, you will:

A) Realize a mmorpg is too big, let's leave it to big studios.

B) Make a bestseller game, become a big studio, and make an mmo.

You want to make an mmorpg, which is actually the msot expensive type of game to make, but you're looking for a cheap engine... Do you realize how much all the assets will cost? If you do have to

He wrote MORPG, which is an online rpg, with multiplayer. Doable with only a few years of work solo, if he really wants to. With a modern engine, the right one, it could be just a matter of months of getting it all together. Not included artwork, sound, music and other assets.

It's worth remembering that there are plenty of morpgs as well as mmorpgs that have rudimentary graphics and just hinge on the stats and player interactions. Just because someone wants to make a game doesn't mean they expect it to look and compete with the big studios... Though admittedly sometimes they do mean that tongue.png

You want to make an mmorpg, which is actually the msot expensive type of game to make, but you're looking for a cheap engine... Do you realize how much all the assets will cost? If you do have to

He wrote MORPG, which is an online rpg, with multiplayer. Doable with only a few years of work solo, if he really wants to. With a modern engine, the right one, it could be just a matter of months of getting it all together. Not included artwork, sound, music and other assets.

Sorry, I'm blind...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement