DirectX SDK DX10/DX11 Sample tutorials keep crashing?

Started by
6 comments, last by DragonBooster 10 years, 3 months ago

Hi guys.

I have encountered a problem when i was trying to compile and run one of microsoft's DirectX 10/11 tutorials which are located in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Samples\C++. I am on a 64 bit machine but i am developing for 32 bit.

The DX9 Tutorials work fine and have no problem, its just the DX10/11 Tutorials. After Tutorial 0 which shows you how to create a window, the other tutorial which initializes D3D, opens for a while and immediately closes. In other Tutorials the same happens and i also sometimes get the "failed to create D3D device!" error.

I noticed that i also get this error in VS 2010 Output log :

First-chance exception at 0x7721c41f in Tutorial01.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: _com_error at memory location 0x0034f04c..
First-chance exception at 0x7721c41f in Tutorial01.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: _com_error at memory location 0x0034f04c..

I just started learning DirectX and i do not know what this error means.

These are the additional Dependecies in their samples:

d3d10.lib
d3dx10d.lib
d3dx9d.lib
dxerr.lib
dxguid.lib
winmm.lib
comctl32.lib

On VS 2010 i am running on Debug as well. If anyone could help i would appreciate it a lot.

My graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce 660 GTX which is a DX11 Class card so i do not think it is hardware related.

Advertisement

If you have the Windows SDK 8.x installed, be sure you are not mixing the legacy SDK with the windows 8.x SDK (which also contain the DirectX libraries and headers).

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/

Currently the platform toolset i have set in VS 2010 is Windows 7.1 SDK. i am using the DirectX June Sdk 2010 so which Windows SDK do i use DirectX 10/11 with?

indows sdk 7.x should work fine with directx sdk.

It could be a driver bug, I can run every single sample of the legacy dx sdk under my pc (W8.1 x64, amd radeon hd 6900 series cayman).

Do you have a dual gfx system (ie: igp + 660 gtx)? Be sure you are running those samples with the nvidia card.

EDIT: be sure you installed the "Direct X Debug Runtime". If not, re-install the legacy DirectX SDK and check for debug runtimes.

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"

Thanks, i will try that and i am running on my Nvidia GTX 660 and not on IGP.

How do i install the Debug Runtime? I Unistalled and installed the SDK twice and i still dont have the debug runtime.

When installing the DirectX SDK, you can choose what components to install. If you select all components, you will install the debug runtimes too.

Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement