• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ApochPiQ

What do you want in your development tools?

17 posts in this topic

That's what makes the editor chug though. I want responsiveness when I am typing not "please wait" thinking about tings while I'm trying to type code.

There was some great stuff in Bret Victor's Inventing on Principle presentation that used coding to demonstrate some concepts. The gist was that having "live code" allows rapid exploration, refinement, and discovery of both the problem and design space. It might be kind of out there, and perhaps a lot to lay the groundwork for, but in a lot of ways, what he shows strikes me as a thoroughly modern REPL.

Coding Horror's Jeff Atwood had some things to say about it.

Edited by Ravyne

My wish list :

-unlimited version control : version control which can handle unbounded branch management and code variations on a complete system wide level. Can guarantee 100% stateful restoration of code and support classes and platform, allowing for unfettered experimentation and code sharing. 

-smart code auto-generator : using advance AI heuristics analyze user code library and does code auto-complete not at a basic syntax level but higher level. 

-meta everything : all code, support tools, interfaces, api are meta-tag and allowed for meta-analysis and offline refactoring.

-runtime visualization tools : advance visualization routines allow user to see allocation, process, information flow, higher order logic, etc.. of their program in action.

-smart syntax coloring : just better versions of what we have now

-ddn

In the IDE? Extract Variable, Extract Method, Extract Class, Inline Variable, Inline Method, Rename, Change Namespace

When the IDE provides comprehensive refactoring tools like that, the speed gains in development are exponential and not having those tools at hand soon feels like a chore in comparison.

Edited by MorleyDev

A decent refactoring tool, no more tab as n-spaces as default, a decent formatter.. You know, make readable the code of someone else with just a pair of click...

In Xcode you can drag a folder into the project and it will add all files recurvisely and create an internal folder tree to match that of the disk.
I would like to see this in Visual Studio. I’m getting tired of having to manually create groups in Visual Studio and then drag the headers into the Headers section and the .cpp files into the Source section manually and separately.
Come on Visual Studio! Just let me drag a folder into the project and you recreate the folder tree and put all the headers over there and the source files over there.

For this there is a "Show all files" button in the solution explorer that will display the tree with actual folder structure. You can also include/exclude files in the project, or add items directly to some folder in this mode. I think the default mode is hardly useful, but this mode is somehow "well hidden".

A debugger that:

• Works.
  • Doesn't lie to me.
  • Presents variable content in a legible manner.
  • Knows about STL.

Basically the VS debugger.

Edited by Scarabus2

Some of the things I love about doing C# in VS 2013:

• Resharper: Good refactoring tools are the best.  It's very liberating to be able to easily extract functions, rename variables and transform code without breaking everything and doing tedious find and replace by hand.
  • Nuget: Beats the pants off trying to integrate third-party libraries by hand.
  • VS Graphics Debugger: It's not perfect, but it's pretty handy to get dumps of per-pixel history, as well as being able to see all of the textures in memory.  

Better contracts
I hate the way I have to specify interfaces and contracts in most languages. More accurately, I hate the way that interfaces are everything and contracts are second-class citizens. Aspect-oriented programming is almost a step in the right direction, but most implementations are really clunky and verbose. Why can't I just say something simple, like "this function never returns null", and get automatic optimizations and sanity checks from my compiler?

I mostly find myself despairing at programming languages themselves, so this one would definitely be on my list. Except rather than opting out of nulls, why on earth isn't it something to opt-in for?! Like Haskell's Maybe type (I actually feel OO languages should be drawing more inspiration from functional languages than they currently seem to be doing; lambdas are not enough tongue.png).

Similarly constness by default would be nice, with a compiler able to recognise and optimise usage of fully immutable objects.

Also, a class should be able to implement an interface in terms of a member variable using a one-liner; NOT being forced to actually implement a trivial pass-through for each method in that interface. Composition is definitely better than inheritance, but languages don't half make it difficult.

Algebraic types.

Pattern matching with support for structure decomposition and implicit casting to subtype.

Multiple dispatch.

Slap 'em into any mainstream language and that would be great, thanks biggrin.png

Edited by dmatter