• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Flexible Muscle-Based Locomotion for Bipedal Creatures

This topic is 1469 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

This showed up in my facebook news feed this morning. I'm especially impressed at how the little dinosaur developed a kangaroo-like leaping gait at high speeds.

The relevant paper is available here. I'm really tempted to try and implement something along these lines...

I wouldn't expect it to be useable at run time. I suspect the solver requires quite a few iterations to get it right, and that each iteration is in itself a processing intensive operation.

This is... wow! Just WOW!

Some years ago I was also thinking at stuff like that, if we eliminate the detail of how muscles generate forces, there could be a way to just solve the forces right? Well, it turns out it would have been quite some work!

The genericity of the algorithm is impressive.

I wouldn't expect it to be useable at run time.

The evolution of a viable controller is an offline process, almost certainly. Though given that their controllers seem to be robust in well under 1,000 generations, that's going to be a pretty quick offline process.

Once you have evolved a stable controller, applying it at runtime should be entirely feasible.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement