Hobbies for game developers

Started by
60 comments, last by Glass_Knife 10 years ago

I guess Im different. Programming is my hobby, not my profession. So I enjoy it a lot.

Advertisement

I enjoy programming too, yet it is my profession. Those two are excluding sets.

As for my hobby - at one point in my life I decided to start bodybuilding, since then I ride bike a lot (yet I gotta find more time to train). Also tennis and football (from time to time), although I'm having hard time to make time for this. So generally, sports.

Apart from that, probably cooking, cats, dogs (or basically anything living that is smarter than any living human), and tons of crazy stuff.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

My brother has a really good time working with wood (I'm not very good at it though, but I like it).

These days, with tools so cheap, it isn't that expensive to get started either, and it can

be relaxing or challenging depending on the type of projects you choose.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

I am a total programming freak, but my big hobby I still do not have time to do is visiting strange nature sights with camera to inspire me. I mean strange ones! rifts and chasms with unseen flora on its steep walls, pathways to hell caves, and also castle ruins. I have all this in slovakia luckily.

But for now, if I do not program, I am getting myself drunk, do clubing, and I also got me 2 American Audio gramophones, yet I am missing mix and the LPs and disturbance speakers. And one other thing that interests me to larger extent is history, since you cannot compute out any knowledge in it- so knowledge in history is much more difficult to gain and prove to be correct. There are few unexplainable topics in history: Joan of Arc, st Peter burial place (outlaw buried in middle of rome at sacred place ) and so on...

And I am also interested in paranormal phenomena of psychotronics

Tennis. Lots of tennis. It taps into the same depths of knowledge (and, if you like, perfectionism) as programming, in a way.
Watching a really good movie (it actually prevents from programming).

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Board games and cards! - nearly as addictive as cyberspace entertainment. As for daily routine I always find walks a great way to relax, clear the mind and refresh after a long day. I've been trying to get into reading regularly but this seem not to work well with freshly downloaded new episodes of fav tv series ;)

I have a woodworking shop in the basement where I build things like furniture, toys, tools, etc.

I do hobby programming projects. I write C and PHP code all day on the job. Most of my home projects were C, but I'm currently learning Pascal for no good reason. Just to be different I guess.

I do electronics for a hobby. LEDs, transistors, etc. When you add a microcontroller, its just programming again, but circuit design and soldering are a nice break in between writing code.

I'm also a licensed ham radio operator. It's technology again, but mostly analog. Even without a license (you only need it to transmit), there's a lot of stuff you can do on the receiver end. I've build single-transistor AM, and believe it or not, single transistor lo-fi FM receivers.

And there's photography. Of course, digital photography leaves you sitting at the computer again editing photos. You can't escape tech! Which is why I also have a 35mm SLR. I use it sparingly since film is do damn expensive. My latest camera is a 35mm Olympus point and shoot I got at a thrift store for 75 cents! I also sometimes print out high-contrast paper negatives of some of my digital photos, and go make a sunprint on cyanotype paper. Or attach 1920's and 1950's lenses to my digital camera.

And when I really want to escape tech, I've gone camping.

And I'm married, and my latest 'hobby' is a 1 year old.

And I'm married, and my latest 'hobby' is a 1 year old.

Those are fun, but if you don't put in enough time leveling them up there will be trouble. The first time my daughter learned to open the fridge she ate a whole jar of pickles. Good times...

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement