Hobbies for game developers

Started by
60 comments, last by Glass_Knife 10 years, 1 month ago

Greetings,

It occurred to me a few months ago that everything I do has something to do with the computer, or technology, or something connected to the internet. I stare at a computer all day long, and then go home to work on my own code. When not working, I'm reading on a kindle, watching movies on Netflix, streaming music, or playing games on my phone, iPad, PS3, PC, etc... Oh yeah, and I like to play poker... online...

So I decided to find some kind of hobby that doesn't involve technology. I have started brewing my own beer. I am enjoying it, and it is nice to get away from the technology and do something in the real world.

So that got me thinking: what hobbies do you guys do that don't involve technology?

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

Advertisement

You should be thinking of how to utilize technology in beer brewing instead.

o3o

I attend a weekly Game night with some friends where we put away our devices and sit down to some classic board games or maybe a card game here and there. It's nice to enjoy a good game with someone face to face as opposed to staring at a computer screen.

That and I make sure to take at least 5 hours a week disconnected and reading a good old book in a room with absolutely no computer, tv or phone near me.

*** Why'd you run away? ****** Don't you like my... style***

I build LEgo stuff, but that's a bit technology related.

I played the drums for 5 years in a metal band.

Did paper modelling, but that's a bit technology related too.

I Finland, I used to take long (10-15 km) walks every 2 or 3 days, and swam in a nearby lake and lied on the shore for about 1-1.5 hours every day. I also cooked every day, and sometime I still prepare relatively complex meals (2-4 hours a time).

Now I'm reading Larry Gonick's Cartoon History of the Universe series.

I Finland, I used to take long (10-15 km) walks every 2 or 3 days, and swam in a nearby lake and lied on the shore for about 1-1.5 hours every day. I also cooked every day, and sometime I still prepare relatively complex meals (2-4 hours a time).

I will take a guess as say you're not married... My wife would never give me that much time.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

I will take a guess as say you're not married... My wife would never give me that much time.

I'm not, but I live with a girl with a romantic relationship. The first and the last point applies now. We don't have a kid though.

I have some programming-related hobbies -- software rasterizers, retro-assembly (Z80, 6502), and I'm starting to take a shine to cryptography. Also embedded systems, and I really want to start playing with FPGAs.

Art -- I used to draw a lot in high school but dropped it. I've made it a resolution this year to draw more, with character-a-week as my goal. The idea I have is to think about a character I've invented, and then from that do the character design -- really think about what that character would look like, and draw them into a scene that speaks to their personality.

Fitness -- I've been off the wagon for a couple weeks, but when I'm good I do 60-90 minutes of cardio nearly every day. On light cardio days I add in some light weightlifting. Luckily I save time travelling to the gym by having a small gym at home (in a way-to-small-to-hold-a-gym-apartment). Another resolution I've made this year is to turn in a decent time in a half-marathon by fall -- I'd like to aim for a time under 1:45, but I'd be pretty happy under even 2:00.

Music -- Unfortunately I don't play much aside from a bit of RockSmith, and its not really a 'hobby' but I go to a lot of shows here in Seattle. When I go out, I'd rather go see a concert than just about anything else, and luckily Seattle has one of the better music scenes in the country, and attracts a lot of touring bands.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I have quite a few hobbies that get me away from my computers.

Snowboarding

Hiking

Whitewater rafting and canoeing

IDPA and USPSA target shooting

bird hunting

SCCA autocross

I've also started dabbling in archery and sailing as well.

It may sound like a lot, but the reality is most of those things I only get out and do a few times a year each.

I recently got into radio-controlled internal combustion buggies (methanol/nitromethane glow engines).

If I was born a few decades earlier, then the hacker in me would've likely ended up as a mechanic or something rather than a programmer, so it's fun playing with 'real' machines instead of virtual ones.

I used to do muay thai every day after work. So it would be code for 8 hours, then go swing some punches and kicks at things or people for about 2 hours, then home to rest.

I miss it, but it's probably better for my brain to not get hit in the head anymore.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement