Hobbies for game developers

Started by
60 comments, last by Glass_Knife 10 years, 1 month ago

Does "playing" MineCraft so I can build RedStone devices count as a hobby ?

I thinks this is more of a lifestyle choice. cool.png

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

Advertisement

Dry washing for gold and prospecting in SoCal deserts. Free's the spirit and builds upper bod strength beyond the meta-carpels.

Animation

3DSkyDome.com animated sky boxes and instant 3d Android & WebGL publishing.
I ride a few laps around town on my bike. Then I collapse on my living room floor and get two box fans pointed at me to cool off.

(Note: Does not apply if it's colder than 55F that day)

So, programming is one of my newest hobbies, and I pretty much have done it all. I can give you part of the list:

Drawing/Painting

Origami and kirigami

random arts and crafts

Collecting coins

Reading a real book

Riding my bike

Fishing (haven't done it, but would like it)

Hiking (same as fishing)

Just plain observing the world

hanging with friends

bowling

All sorts of sports

cooking

etc.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Yep, I code a lot too (I have too many irons in the fire). But I also play the drums, video games, and soccer. Since it is winter at the moment (and I loath winter), I tend to be indoors a lot. Otherwise, I also have fun taming my unruly back yard with a machete and throwing the kids in the pool.

-Josh

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

when Im not drawing Im programming, and vice versa

i started with 2d animation, really interested

i used to run a lot, my mom run on marathons and is always inviting me, once in a while I go..Im good in the resistance side of exercises

i used to practice kung fu, but takes too much time, and I find that if I dont dedicate 100% to it its kind pointless, kung fu is all about going super sayan if you get what I mean

i need to get the fuck out of youtube procrastination, not signing for google+ (being not able to comment) didnt help at all

i want to get a piece of Styrofoam and practice card throwing again, I recently figured out i totally lost my technique

i want to get my engine round to start work on a 2d platformer >_<, Im not inspired by the card game Im doing anymore, but its helping a lot w/ the engine, so Im kinda in a zombie mode, it sucks

Get a helicopter!

Hodgman no helicopters yet ?, be warned : really addictive.

Try a cheap 450 at Hobbyking before investing to much.

Oh, this involves technology, but its outside and not behind a computer.

How do i add a youtube movie to this message ?

greetings

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

i used to practice kung fu, but takes too much time, and I find that if I dont dedicate 100% to it its kind pointless, kung fu is all about going super sayan if you get what I mean

Yes, martial arts are great but require lots of patience and dedication. I studied Aikido (Stephen Segal) for years before my instructor moved. I was surprised that most of the people in the dojo were computer people. I met a lot of great people.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

I used to be a snowboard bum.. I had a real good balance between computers and real life then. but then I had a back injury so I haven't been able to snowboard for about 3 years now. I had surgery in January a year ago and still have some hope that I might get back to it.. The last years I've been stuck too much in front of the computer, but I broke up with my ex, sold the apartment and bought a cheap sailboat in July so things are getting better. Since that I've been working hard on refurbishing it to a level where I now can move into it. Now I can live cheaply, go sailing, work on the boat, work on my hobby project and get some better balance in life.. One day I'll be cruising the world in my boat and making games. :) I'm also getting back into yoga now. :) Its really important for me to have a life away from technology as well. It makes me more productive when I do sit down.

So I decided to find some kind of hobby that doesn't involve technology.

I have to admit (to be honest, not to criticize you or get into a flame war), that sort of thing has always bothered me. I mean, if you were like Lebron James, a guy who played basketball, and football when basketball season was over, and ran track, and would spend all day riding his bike to different parks to find good players to compete against, it would never occur to you "I need to find a hobby that involves more... technology." And yet so many people come to the conclusion that they not only can use too much technology, but they should avoid this fate at all costs.

I play basketball as a hobby. A team sport like that is great for a programmers, who are typically not into being in large groups and communicating nonstop. You can't even play basketball if you don't have the confidence to walk up to a group of 4-8 total strangers and ask to play with them. You definitely can't play if you're not going to defend yourself when someone says you're bad at it. It happens to everyone all the time. It's a good social-anxiety-killer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement