Engine with best skeletal animation support?

Started by
2 comments, last by Serapth 10 years, 3 months ago

I've been working with irrlicht for a few weeks, but I've ended up doing quite a bit of coding around it rather than actually using it for anything other than rendering. I'm currently running into odd issues with it's support for skeletal animation, and I'm sure with time I could find a solution (or code one in a longer amount of time). But rather than do that, I'd just like to know:

Is there a graphics engine or library with a feature rich/well developed skeletal animation system? Preferably one that allows 'manual' bone transformation (as in from code). Language isn't an issue, but C/C++ is preferred.

Advertisement

Have a look at Horde3D, it has a solid skeletal and morph animation system which support multiple animation layer and manual joint transformations (a joint is a regular scene node which animates the bones of the model)

*edit* i forgot ogre3d isn't a 3d engine.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Probably the most powerful engine that you have access to is from Havok. The have a product that is for exactly what you are talking about, and it is bundled together with their game engine ( Vision ), and some of their other products as Project Anarchy. It started as a mobile only product ( free! ), but they now have a desktop license available for indies. I did a bit of a tutorial series on PA shortly after it was released if you are interested in learning more.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement